Anyone know what is going on here? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
Two soldiers, purported to be African-Americans, appear to be in a foxhole during the Ardennes campaign in 1944-45. The helmet and coat collar insignia appears to be an anchor and is mystery to me. One of the soldiers is holding what appears to be a Bren gun. I didn't know that US soldiers used the Bren. The other soldier is holding what appears to be either a US Springfield or British Enfield or perhaps a German Mauser? I don't know weaponry well enough to identify it but pretty sure it's not an M-1 Garand.

source: http://imgur.com/a/BQvIr#7T8dvfQ

Attachments

• YHtgnOc.jpg
    YHtgnOc.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
The US Coastguard badge is 2 crossed Anchors. That badge looks like a fouled anchor the badge of the Troupes de Marine colonial infantry Troupes de marine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They had a real mix of equipment depending on where they were based. The rifle looks like a Springfield 1903.

French colonial troops makes more sense than African-American troops considering their various accoutrements. There were certainly African American troops fighting and dying during the early Battle of the Bulge, in particular the 333rd Field Artillery battalion, unit of the Wereth eleven, but these clearly aren't from any USA unit. Great job identifying the photo FM!

Possibly Italy I dont think they would be using a mix of calibres when even British forces in Korea used US 30-06 weapons to cut down logistics.

Last edited:
Possibly Italy I dont think they would be using a mix of calibres when even British forces in Korea used US 30-06 weapons to cut down logistics.

I really don't know but I've seen pictures of British soldiers taken in Korea with Lee Enfield rifles and seen plenty of photographic evidence for Brens in Korea. I've also seen pictures of Australian soldiers, transferred from Japan, arriving in Korea with their Lee Enfields c/w 1907 pattern bayonet (sword).
Cheers
Steve

I really don't know but I've seen pictures of British soldiers taken in Korea with Lee Enfield rifles and seen plenty of photographic evidence for Brens in Korea. I've also seen pictures of Australian soldiers, transferred from Japan, arriving in Korea with their Lee Enfields c/w 1907 pattern bayonet (sword).
Cheers
Steve

Just checked with my neighbour who served in Korea. When they arrived they had the full outfit of .303 weapons plus all the usual British infantry kit. After a few months they were carrying M1 rifles and carbines and wearing mostly US kit but wherever they could they still used the Bren gun and Vickers gun. So you could well be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back