anyone know what kind of bomb this is? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hogberg

Recruit
Nov 19, 2008
Hi my name is Emil and im from sweden, i reasently got my hands on this bomb, i think that it is from ww2 but i can be wrong do anyone know what kind it is and who used it ? it got red stipes and some kinde of red sign but its a bit scratched so the colour has gone away, its 28 cm (11 inch) high.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7050.JPG
    IMG_7050.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7049.JPG
    IMG_7049.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 102
I agree with Charles. It is a mortar round, without doubt. It's difficult to tell from the photograph you posted, as the image is too large to view conveniently, but, from the length, I would guess it's a 75mm to 84m Mortar round, or thereabouts. Red markings generally signify a 'Live' round, although again, the actual shape of the markings are difficult to see. Also, from what I could make out, it is possible that at least part of the firing charge is still in place inside the venturi within the tail fin assembly. If it is, this alone can be VERY dangerous! If it IS live, then I would put it down somewhere safe, do not touch it again, and contact the nearest Explosive Ordnance Officer, which you should find in the local area telephone book, probably under Army, Navy, or Air Force - Bomb Disposal. Failing that, contact the Police.
Although it is very possible that this bomb has been deactivated, I would not take any chances, as there SHOULD be markings on it to verify this.
By the shape and design of the fins, it is possible that this is a British round; if so, it is an obsolete design, possibly from the period of the Second World War, or earlier, which means that, if it IS live, it could be very unstable!
Even if it turns out to be inert and perfectly safe, have it checked!
On military ranges, or former battlefields, one of the most dangerous objects to disturb are unexploded mortar rounds; the ratios of serious injury or death, caused be these, is as high as that caused by the 13 million or so unaccounted for land mines across the world.
I'm sorry if this seems somewhat dramatic but, with an unidentified piece of lethal ordnance, you DO NOT TAKE CHANCES!

I for one, hope this is not the last time we hear from Hogberg? I wouldn't even handle that thing again. Call the autorities and have them come and look it over.

it's empty in both the underpart witch i belive is the rocket part who shot it away and in the upper part (the bomb part) so it's really just a empty shell so it shall not explode :) thanks for all the help

I agree with Charles. It is a mortar round, without doubt. It's difficult to tell from the photograph you posted, as the image is too large to view conveniently, but, from the length, I would guess it's a 75mm to 84m Mortar round, or thereabouts. Red markings generally signify a 'Live' round, although again, the actual shape of the markings are difficult to see. Also, from what I could make out, it is possible that at least part of the firing charge is still in place inside the venturi within the tail fin assembly. If it is, this alone can be VERY dangerous! If it IS live, then I would put it down somewhere safe, do not touch it again, and contact the nearest Explosive Ordnance Officer, which you should find in the local area telephone book, probably under Army, Navy, or Air Force - Bomb Disposal. Failing that, contact the Police.
Although it is very possible that this bomb has been deactivated, I would not take any chances, as there SHOULD be markings on it to verify this.
By the shape and design of the fins, it is possible that this is a British round; if so, it is an obsolete design, possibly from the period of the Second World War, or earlier, which means that, if it IS live, it could be very unstable!
Even if it turns out to be inert and perfectly safe, have it checked!
On military ranges, or former battlefields, one of the most dangerous objects to disturb are unexploded mortar rounds; the ratios of serious injury or death, caused be these, is as high as that caused by the 13 million or so unaccounted for land mines across the world.
I'm sorry if this seems somewhat dramatic but, with an unidentified piece of lethal ordnance, you DO NOT TAKE CHANCES!

Yeah..... we could do that. But isnt always better to just put it at a distance and just shoot it?

lol im kidding of course. it is a Mortar round but the question i'd like to ask is how did you ever end up with this???

Hi Double'. Not sure about Canada or the 'States, but in the U.K., and probably Europe and Scandanavia, it's possible to purchase such deactivated ordnance fairly easily, via dealers, arms fairs and so on. Until exactly a year ago, I had been involved for about 14 years lecturing on 20th Century infantry weapons, and the armoury I was provided with contained everything from small-arms ammo up to a field gun and AFVs, not counting the 200 plus weapons! BTW, some of weapons were not deacts!
Happy days, but now I'm too knackered to continue!

Hi Double'. Not sure about Canada or the 'States, but in the U.K., and probably Europe and Scandanavia, it's possible to purchase such deactivated ordnance fairly easily, via dealers, arms fairs and so on.

Note to self: Travel to the U.K to buy explosives and blow up a snowman. (My lifelong dream)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back