Anyone recognise me? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
No, not the pliers - it was windy outside when I took the snap and i didn't want the page to flip. :|

It's from a children's book I bought for 50c at an opportunity shop. Nothing much in the caption other than it's a homebuilt from the USA cira 1979. It's driving me nuts!

Anyone seen it before? Name?

Cheers!

1979.jpg

it is probably a homebuilt design that never went mainstream. when part 103 was introduced in the early 80s a lot of builders made stuff like this to fly....some people who had no business designing and building did. but that is part of the charm of UL ac...no inspection necessary ( tho you are a fool if you dont have someone check yor work ). some companies took off...like cgs hawk, challenger, fisher, minimax, etc. but i know guys who drafted up j3 look alikes...and built them from scratch. think this is an example of just that.

I can see that now. More two dimensional than 3 dimensional. I thought the Dumont was close. There were many different Demoiselles that he built. This might be a plan of his that someone recreated.

D@mn!! Funny thing - I was watching the movie "Those Daring Young Men in their Flying Machines" yesterday and one was an almost exact replica of this!

I'm sure the majority of these guys were probably scared of the contraption they were trying to fly, but this was the golden age of adventure and the fame and glory of success was their goal. Few achieved that, sadly and many ended up as an obituary and small footnote in the history of flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back