Anyone used 'Siawool"? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
A run across this stuff in a hardware catalogue today and was intrigued. Might be good for getting into tight curved areas like wing roots. Anyone used this or something similar?

Andy, if you could ask them what the A, B, and C grains are equal to in sandpaper grades it may help you some. It won't do what sandpaper will in regards to getting rid of filler lumps. You have to be carefull with it, for it may take detail away that you want to keep. I am going off my experience with using scotchbrite pads of the same colors. It won't be as controlable as the sand paper.

Never have used it but it is essentially a synthetic steel wool. If you would use steel wool on your models the this is superior. Next furniture I strip and refinish I am going to try this stuff

Not sure if it's the same, and can't remember the brand name, but I tried a similar product quite a number of years ago.
I'd been using it to rub-down my Land Rover after priming, getting a great smooth finish, and thought it might work on modelling.
Nope!
Great on primer over 'Birmabrite' (an aluminium), but scratched the plastic.

It is, of course an abrasive, as is 3000 grit w/d sandpaper the scratches are just finer. The finest grade siawool is about like 0000 steel wool. I just don't see a use on something as small as a model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back