Arado Ar196 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So this might be a good place to ask...

Anyone know what the cable shown in the below pic is for and it's detailed layout? It shows up in some flying pics as well.

arado196walk2 arrows.jpg

Thanks Geo. I've scoured everything I have and can't anything better than the shot I posted. I have the one above as well, showing that whatever this line is, it was also there in flight.

So this might be a good place to ask...

Anyone know what the cable shown in the below pic is for and it's detailed layout? It shows up in some flying pics as well.

View attachment 381696

Hey Andy, if those are the cables originating from the cockpit maybe they are the float water rudder retraction system? Even in small floatplanes today, this is operated by a lever via a cable and pulley system on the outside of the float. The water rudders also have steering actuator cables which are connected to the cockpit rudder pedals.

You can see the water rudders in the deployed position in one of the pictures in post #26.

Last edited:
I have tried to find out what these cables were for. But I couldn't find anything. However I would like to say thet these cables don't seem to be for controling of the float rudders. For sure these didn't come into the fuselage and the plane cockpit. It seems that there was a small slot in the fuselage where a kind of short line mounting with a kind of shekel was attached.It looks like a kind of a tensioner I would say. These lines ( cables ) seen in Andy's pic were attached there with loops at their ends. The two shots below show it quite clearly. Also I agree that these lines weren't at the port side what can be noticed in all images presenting the fuselage site. Additionally I have seen a couple of pics of the plane where the starboard is presented and these lines weren't there too.

ar196 szekla1.jpg
ar196 szekla2.jpg

What is more , these parts marked with the yellow arrows don't seem to be these lines. The one marked on the float strut seems to be the light trick at the area where the fuel lines ( feed and return ) run in the strut between the wooden parts giving the strut the drop shape. Here is a pic of the same plane Andy posted above ( I have found it at the Falkeeins's site ). In the pic the two channels in the float strut can be noticed better. But I'm not sure fully about tha because in a couple of other images it seems like there really was the cable there . See the two next shots ...

arado196.jpg

arado196lines.jpg
Ar-196_3.jpg

The next thing is the dark line pointed with the second arrow suggesting entring of the line into the float. I would say it is not the part of the line. There are two such pieces that are thicker and look like vent pipes rather or short cables. Because of the angle the pic was taken with, these can be considered the cables or panel lines but they just are protruding from the float actually. I have found another pic where the rear one can be noticed in there too.

arado float 2.jpg

arado float 2a.jpg

float5.jpg

And the third arrow pointing the cable going back.... again it is not seen fully but it seems that the end of the line was attached to the small ring at the float back. Andy's pic doesn't show it clearly but there are two images of another plane ( IMHO it is the another Arado of a plane line floating at the shore seen in all pics on the Falkeeins" site ) with the detail seen very nice.

arado196lines4.jpg

arado196lines4a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for trying Wojtek. I think I will leave it off my model given that we can't nail down the purpose. It occurred to me that the line on the float could be a grab line for rescuing people at sea but it doesn't explain why it apparently goes up to the fuselage, unless it was intended to be something to hook onto whilst going up the ladder. Not likely though.

Incidentally, the lines are shown on this detail of the removable strut from one of the manuals: Unfortunately, they aren't called up in the item list.

385010_c05aa1e3cff518957152608b007b9417.jpg

Thanks for trying Wojtek. I think I will leave it off my model given that we can't nail down the purpose. It occurred to me that the line on the float could be a grab line for rescuing people at sea but it doesn't explain why it apparently goes up to the fuselage, unless it was intended to be something to hook onto whilst going up the ladder. Not likely though.

Incidentally, the lines are shown on this detail of the removable strut from one of the manuals: Unfortunately, they aren't called up in the item list.

View attachment 382545

I was thinking something similar Andy - maybe it's a line for a grappling hook to grab onto when trying to manoeuvre the plane to be craned onto a ship or moored at a pontoon or jetty. The configuration is still curious though.

Yep.. it is very possible. Additionally you may notice a similar way of attaching of a line at the starboard front area of the Arado...

ar196.jpg

Last edited:
Andy, I found a quite nice pic of the line mounting/fastening on the starboard...interesting is that there can be seen two thin cables attached as well.

Arado sheckle.jpg

I still can't help but think it's something to do with rigging for helping to retrieve the plane by hoisting. It's a bit hard to see exactly what's happening, but in these pictures the observer is attaching guidelines to this area and the rings and hooks in the pictures above would be consistent with this. In the last picture you can also see guidelines attached to the starboard float.

arado2.jpg

arado1.jpg

arado4.jpg

arado3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back