Argentine Navy and Army Images:

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Waooooh ¡¡¡¡¡

Very shocking signature NS :rolleyes:

181-8198_IMG.jpg

Speaking of U-Boots. You have to read up on the new ones that Germany is building. They are the most silent boats to have been built todate. Pretty amazing technology actually that they are using in the boats. They are even making them for export unfortunatly and the US has understandably made a stink about that.

Living in Germany it does sort of make me a bit angry that they wish to sell them to others including Taiwan, even though I think the US said they would approve of that one.

Nope it uses an air-independent propulsion system using a silently operating fuel cell plant. The fuel cell plant which was developed by HDW, considerably increases the submarine's underwater endurance.

There are actually 2 classes of the sub the Type 212 and the Type 214.

Germany uses both of the new subs plus they are building them for Italy, Finland, Korea, and Taiwan.

Fuel cells themselves have actually been around for a little while now. I think the older Type 209 can use them as well, if properly outfitted, and Canada was considering modifying these old British boats for them for a while. I've heard of the air-independent propulsion system but don't know much about it. Maybe I'll bother to read about it sometime. ;)

I personally dont know anything about the propulsion system. From further reading though they are diesel boats and just augmented with the air-independent propulsion system.

Well here is some more info on it.

Type 212

The German Type 212A is an advanced design of non-nuclear submarine developed by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft AG (HDW). It features air-independent propulsion using nine 34-kilowatt Siemens hydrogen fuel cells, allowing the submarines to cruise under water for weeks without surfacing, silently, and with no exhaust heat. HDW is the first shipyard in the world to offer a fuel cell propulsion system ready for series production.

An initial order of four Type 212 submarines was placed by the German government in 1998. Because of significant updates to the design the designation was changed to Type 212A since then. They were built by the German Submarine Consortium at the shipyards of HDW and Thyssen Nordseewerke GmbH (TNSW) of Emden. Very similar to the way Airbus builds aircraft, different sections of the submarines were constructed at both sites at the same time and then half of them were shipped to the respective other yard so that both HDW and Thyssen Nordseewerke assembled two complete submarines each.

Salvatore Todaro, a Type 212A built by Fincantieri for the Marina Militare (Italian Navy), is scheduled to be commissioned in 2005, and her sister Sciré is under construction. Two more Italian Type 212s are planned.

Three Dolphin class submarines built for the Israeli Navy are of a similar design, but using conventional diesel-electric propulsion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_212_submarine

Attachments

• 212_775.jpg
    212_775.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 227
Ah, now I remember these boats. Yeah, I did read about this before. It takes away some of the handicaps of the diesel boat, like having to snort constantly. Thanks for the link.

A picture of U-214 - HN Class

51973783.2005_1108Image0035.jpg

Absolute beautifull watercraft, the bundesmarine flag is only for testing, the Boat is actually for the Greek navy(PAPANIKOLIS S-120 ) , Germany still dont bought the U-214 design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back