Armored windscreen for 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.Vb ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

All is in the title, does exist external (earlier) armored windscreen for 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Vb ? I searched vacuformed canopies on the web (Falcon, Squadron, Rob Taurus...) but I found nothing... How to make it ?
Anybody to help me please ?
TIA, regards
Stéph

Last edited:
Here you are shots of the external windshield... it shouldn't be any problem with making it from scratch. Just a piece of clear plastic shaped by sanding, painted at edges and attached with Clear Fix.

C11IWMCH3757.jpg

08es09_008.jpg

4521211827_fa4de2cd8d_z.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

And comparing to the later variant ...

C9SquadronLeaderJJLynchCommandingOfficerofNo249SquadronRAFSpitfireMarkVCIWMCM5096.jpg

It could be done that way my friend, but the internally armoured screen, apart from having the horizontal frames at the top, was a different shape, with 'flat' side screens, noticeable in 1/48th scale.
But - problem solved!
I've found the 'screen, along with both types of canopy to go with it - the early, flat-sided canopy with the 'knock out'panel, and the intermediate, part 'blown' canopy.
Steph, let me know which canopy you need, send me your address by PM, and I'll get the parts sent later this week.
Terry.

Attachments

• Can Jan 605.jpg
    Can Jan 605.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Can Jan 603.jpg
    Can Jan 603.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Can Jan 604.jpg
    Can Jan 604.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 235
Hello All,
Thank you for the answers :)
Wurger, yes, in fact, to build one was my first idea but I lacked courage (is it right "to lack courage" in English ?) but for some other projects I will not the choice...

Terry, my projects (2 in fact) were Spitfire Mk.Vb W3122 of 91 Sqn flown by French Ace Jean Demozay during summer 1941. The other is Spitfire Vb W3257 of 611 Sqn flown by English Ace Eric S. Lock late in July and early in August 1941. Both are early Spitfires Vb with external armored windscreen and I suppose, the flat-sided canopy with the 'knock out' panel...
Regarding the "earlier" piece on the Tamiya kit, I've this one but I didn't try on the Hasegawa kit because I need this piece for another Tamiya kit project with external armored windscreen: Spitfire Vb W3774 of 485 Sqn flown by New Zealander (Kiwi) Ace William V. Crawford-Compton from November 1941 to March 1942.
Do you think is "compatible" with Hasegawa kit ?
Still thank you, regards
Stéph

Only one way to find out, and that's try it for fit. I've often used different kits' canopies and windscreens on different Spitfire kits. I might have another external armoured screen, but if so, it will have the canopy attached, as it will be from an Airfix kit. Might take me some time to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back