AvPix unlimited

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amazing photos! The TWA-terminal is marvelous!
The architect's name is Eero Saarinen BTW. And if you see some similarities, yes, he designed the Dulles airport too.
F4ajV61.jpg

And the boy with the magazine has exactly my haircut (when I was his age of course). Very hard to keep combed at school, mucho problemos with the principal!
Today everything is easier - no hair at all. I don't even use a comb.:cool:
millworkers-children-holyooke-mass-sep-1941-jpg.jpg

I also have little hair. An interesting thing I remember about the Tri-Traveler was how the instructor had such difficulty in demonstrating stalls. I weighed less than 140 pounds and he less than 150. the bird would just hang there and not drop a wing, so he always yanked the stick over to simulate a stall. Three and a half years later when home from the USAF, I continued lessons in a 150 and different instructor. A fortunate thing for me occurred just before solo. I knew I was ready and anticipated at the next lesson however the instructor couldn't make it and I was to go with the man who rented the 150 to us. He had been a feature around the airport since I was a teen In Civil Air Patrol, usually sleeping in a chair on a bench. We took off and he said, "We'll do touch and goes today." As we climbed out, he fell fast asleep, and only aroused when the wheels touched, with a "go around." I felt as if I were soloing with an insurance policy although in later years wondered how he would have reacted if needed. Any way, the next lesson was the real solo.

While looking for other photos, I found the last (really the last) of the gum cards. I thought I would bore you with these last sixteen and ask for your indulgence. You should understand to a young teen in the mid 50s this was the current info on the latest planes. The school library had "The Aircraft of the World" and others, but the waiting lists were so long you would be in the next grade before your turn came. Although much of my memory is now dim, at one time I knew all of these by memory. These were the latest as seen by the X or Y prefix designations. Look at the nude nose of the YC-130. We thought it awful to stick a radome on it.

Image (123) copy.jpg
Image (124) copy.jpg

Image (125) copy.jpg
Image (126) copy.jpg

Image (127) copy.jpg
Image (128) copy.jpg

Image (129) copy.jpg
Image (130) copy.jpg

Marked copyright T. C. G.
source: ed's collection

A few found while resorting
Image (24) copy.jpg

F-89J 53-2664 can't find source, may be Weathers or internet

Image (25) copy.jpg

Hawker-Siddeley (Mk.50) AV-8A 158965 later conv to AV-8C--first batch bought from UK Source: Landry or Weathers

Image (26) copy.jpg
Image (27) copy.jpg
Image (28) copy.jpg

Grumman WF-2 147218 Tracer Source: Weathers or Landry

Image (29) copy.jpg

Sikorsky Sea King source: Weathers of Landry

ed's collection all rights reserved

While looking for other photos, I found the last (really the last) of the gum cards. I thought I would bore you with these last sixteen and ask for your indulgence. You should understand to a young teen in the mid 50s this was the current info on the latest planes. The school library had "The Aircraft of the World" and others, but the waiting lists were so long you would be in the next grade before your turn came.

Similar childhood Ed - many thanks for the Card images - appreciated! :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread