Avro Anson Mk.I close to flight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Grant. Hope they get that port gear sorted - seems to have some history of kneeling down!
And talking of turrets, just look how basic the Anson's turret was (this one at the YAM, near York, UK) - the height of 1930's technology!

Attachments

• Elvington 145.jpg
    Elvington 145.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 79
  • Elvington 147.jpg
    Elvington 147.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 74
Keep it simple as they say!

BTW, did you happen to photograph the Halifax and Stirling paintings on the wall behind it Terry? They look great from here.

Sorry Evan, I didn't, probably as I used to have prints of both. BTW, they're both Halifaxes - or should that be Halifaxi ?!!

Yes, simple is as simple does; the Armstrong Whitworth turrets went to war in the Whitleys as well; quite incredible, but back in 1935 - 36, in Britain the pwered turret was fitted to the Boulton Paul Overstrand only; BP led the field for a number of years with its French licence built SAMM turret eventually fitted to the Defiant. Although Nash and Thompson (Frazer Nash) turrets were more widespread, the BP unit was more advanced, but it was heavier and more complex.

I don't know if its noticeable in my photos, but one thing that stood out on the Anson was red diagonal stripes on the inboard engine nacelles, which were the only guides the gunners had for not shooting off bits of the aeroplane - these were painted to cover the propeller arc. I asked the aircraft's owner about guards to avoid shooting at the tail; no such thing.

full credit to their workmanship...

Yes, Evan, quite amazing to see skilled skin bashers at work. I used to work with this whizz bang skin basher from Romania and he was incredible to watch; he'd start with a flat piece of ali and before you know it; bish bash bosh - a perfectly formed compund curve!

What a cracker! I don't know if an Anson can be described as 'beautiful', but there's a distinct elegance about her, I think maybe from the shape of the nose, running back to the curve of the fuselage. Always liked the old 'Annie'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back