Avro Lancaster in 1/72?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Will deffo get some of the new Airfix Lancaster and ground equipment offerings! Hopefully, we'll see them release one in 1/48 as well and not to a Tamigawa price!

You know, I think there's a good chance it could happen. Over the last few years, Airfix have re-released a lot of old kits, from the 1950s and 1960s, a move that just might have been just to keep the name going, after the ups and downs and then acquisition by Hornby. Then, they released a lot of newly-tooled kits, and totally new kits, in 1/72nd scale, followed, eventually, by 1/48th scale versions.
With them now re-tooling an already good Lanc B1/111, and a totally new B2, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that, in a year or two, maybe earlier, 1/48th scale versions might follow, at least the B1/111. Now, if they re-tool their 1/72nd scale Halifax B111, I'll certainly be watching to see if a 1/48th scale version follows!

Absolutely! Growing up with Airfix (and Matchbox), I really hope so, should it happen, I'll definitely line up to buy one. Hopefully, it won't be the same hassle as with their 1/24, which got delayed over and over again, with price going up as it was delayed...

Come to think of it, never built a FROG kit, how did the three compare to each other?

Well, 'Matchbox' were relatively new, being more known for their '00' or 1/76th scale die-cast cars, and entered the kit market as the first to introduce recessed panels lines, albeit rather heavy recessed panel lines. They had a huge range of kits, mainly 1/72nd scale, with a very few in 1/48th and 1/32nd. But their range included a heck of a lot of more 'unusual' types, and were, generally fairly good, although with a strong aim at the younger market, with multi-coloured parts.
Airfix we know about, as the first mass-producer of plastic kits, some of which are still going.
Frog produced a wide range of kits, again, including some of the lesser know types, all in 1/72nd scale, apart from a brief venture into the then new 1/32nd scale market, the examples of these now being still part of the Hasegawa range.
Their 1/72nd scale kits, for the time, were very well moulded, with fine detail and interior details in the form of seats, instrument panels, and control columns etc, something which, at the time, Airfix did not do, apart from a token effort on some of their larger kits. Although some items lacked detail in parts, for example turret guns, they were more to scale and very fine, and some of the landing gear legs, for the time, were nicely detailed, as were the canopies, with well defined, engraved framework.
To me, Airfix seemed to be substantial in 'feel', although perhaps not always truly accurate, and perhaps sometimes 'heavy' in appearance of exterior detail, whereas Frog could look somewhat 'light' in appearance, but very nicely moulded, and not as thick in such areas as side walls and gear doors, for example.

Trying to find a review on their new, one of their new tooled, Avro Lancaster (Dambuster) in 1/72, 09007 I think its number is, said to have a proper interior... Oh well, I guess that I have to get one! :lol:
£29 it is anyway, or thereabouts...

It sounds good, although Airfix seem to be hiking up their prices a bit. Tried to reply to your text earlier today, but no 'phone service - it's just come back on!

Certainly looks superb - But! And I'm not being over critical - the panel lines look rather heavy, although under paint and clear coats they should be passable, and ejector pin marks on the Flight Engineer's panel! Not sure about the exposed bomb bay roof either; I'd need to check, but I think it was covered in alloy sheet.
That said, what a beaut, and a whole series of Lancs too!
Let's hope they do the BI/III in 48th scale, at a decent price, so that we can have a good, realistically priced Lanc in this scale.

Just noticed it's made in India !
What the **** is the matter with British business these days?! Maybe the mould tool was made in the UK, although maybe not, but why not produce the bl**dy thing in the UK? Just to make a bigger profit, due to lower costs in India, at the expense of a soon to be totally non-existent British Industry!!!
There was a time, and for many decades, where the label 'Made in Britain' was a sign of quality. Now, it's a ****ing joke!!!!

Maybe they meant production of the mould tools, or maybe it's selective. I do understand that any company has to make a profit to survive, re-invest, and satisfy share holders etc. But, when almost every product bought in the UK these days, from so called 'British' companies, is made outside the UK, then that nasty word 'greed' springs to mind.
And furthermore, every time a production job is 'hived out' overseas, the price will keep rising, as the producers see the potential, and want their share of the pot, until the company then seek another producer, and so on. It happened to a very well known 'high street' chain store group not many years ago, a household name who always prided themselves on being able to state that everything they sold was British made or produced. Then they 'went foreign' and very nearly crashed as a result, and are only now dragging themselves back.
Of course, the argument will be 'British production is too expensive, or can't do the job'. It bl**dy well would, at agreeable costs, if companies didn't keep b*gg*ring off overseas for sourcing or production, just to grab a few more pennies!
It makes me so angry!
Grrr!

Dunno about that... I heard there was a small Swettish/ Scottish concern lurking in the wild highlands making them in 1:24 scale... some aircraft too I believe ?? :)

And the remaining car industry in Britain is foreign owned - including RR !!!
I once had a great old Land Rover which, over night, became a Gelandrover !

Looking forward to seeing it old boy.
And now, a message for Airfix "Please make a Lanc, Halifax, Stirling, Blenheim, Hudson, Gnat, and many other of your 1/72nd scale kits, in 1/48th scale!"

Got the newly tooled Airfix Lancaster this morning and all I can say, at first glance is....W-O-W!!
Had someone showed me just the kit and said that it was Airfix, I'd have told them to get real!
What a fantastically lovely looking kit, the detail is so not what you'd have expected with Airfix!

Right, need to get another one, as I understand it, all parts are there to build a 'standard' B.III Lancaster...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back