Avro Lancaster in 1/72?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

At the moment, it's a toss up between the 1980s Airfix kit, and the relatively recent Revell kit.
The Airfix is accurate overall, but lacks some internal detail. The Revell kit looks good, and has a lot of internal detail in the form of frame work etc. However, the dihedral of the main wing is slightly 'off', but to be honest, it can't really be noticed that much. The Revell kit also has engines, separate exhausts, and a full bomb load which includes the bomb carriers. But, the 'cookie' is more like a 2,000 lb bomb, and not very accurate at that, an the bomb load is all HE 500 pounders ( most common load was incendiary SBCs, a 4,000 lb 'Cookie', and perhaps four 500 pounders.) The 'cookie' in the Airfix kit is very good, and includes decals for the stencils.
That said, Airfix have announced a range of 'New Tool' Lancs for this year, with a BI/BIII, a 'Dam Buster, and the Hercules-engined BII, so it is hoped they can only be even better than the 1980s kit, and should therefore be the best injection-moulded Lanc in any scale - fingers crossed!

Like the sound of that new tool kit Terry!

Got 2 Airfix, 2 Revell and a Hasegawa Lanc here myself.
- The (new tool) Revell is the best detailed, though very slightly smaller in dimensions. Not enough wing dihedral, and forward upper emergency hatch needs repositioning. Undercarriage legs a little skinny, wheels terrible.
- The Airfix kits are correct in outline, the only kits with the correct wing dihedral and canopy form. Glass parts thick, and no interior detail however. Raised rivet detail, but if sanded down, this is correct.
- The Hasegawa kit is like a crisper Airfix kit. Outline is correct, and main undercarriage good. Nose turret ring and engine intakes need correction, wing dihedral too high, tail wheel over sized, canopy escape hatch in wrong place. External detail is recessed like the Revell, but very basic and incorrect interior detail.

My personal preference: Airfix kit, with scratch-built or PE/ resin interior detail, resin gun barrels and Squadron/ Falcon vacform canopy and turrets.

Last edited:
Like the sound of that new tool kit Terry!

- The Hasegawa kit is like a crisper Airfix kit. Outline is correct, and main undercarriage good. Nose turret ring and engine intakes need correction, wing dihedral too high, tail wheel over sized, canopy escape hatch in wrong place. External detail is recessed like the Revell, but very basic and incorrect interior detail.

My personal preference: Airfix kit, with scratch-built or PE/ resin interior detail, resin gun barrels and Squadron/ Falcon vacform canopy and turrets.

Well now................. that sure sets the tone for my GB18 Has Lanc! Damn, I sure wish I had asked this question................ I guess I will just have to pay more close attention to how I am building it....

Don't be disheartened Bill - all 'faults' are correctable with a few modifications or accessories:

CMK and Eduard do interior sets (I have the CMK set which is very nice), Quick Boost do resin gun barrels (2 sets - round and oval perforated barrel sleeves), and Pavla new intakes. There are replacement main wheels from different companies, but I think the kit items are fine, even moulded 'weighted'.

I have a spare Airfix kit I can remove the nose turret ring from for ya, plus the tail wheel and yoke, unless you grab one of the beautiful Resin Art main wheel sets which come with tail wheel yokes and both types of tail wheel.

The trickiest things are going to be the wing dihedral and canopy problems. I'm either going to try razor sawing and reversing the canopy centre piece with mine (if it will look correct), or replace it with a Squadron/Falcon canopy.
The wings will need to be sawn at the kink and lowered a little to the correct angle.

I may be joining you on this build with the same kit btw... Plan to do a Lincoln conversion using the flightpath conversion set. This is designed for the Airfix kit, but have been considering using the Hassy kit (being comparable in dimensions) to eliminate the nose and intake mods, and leave the designated Airfix kit for a later B.III Lanc build.

I'll have to take some time and compare the canopy with pictures I have. As far as the canopy goes. Could it be sanded back smooth, then masked and built back up for the framing? Is that thet part that is out of order?

As for the dihedral, how far off is it? Is it a matter of cutting from the bottom, but not thru, then lowering the tips and gluing back in place?

The interior I have only gotten the Eduard panels, the smaller set.I was going to get a bomb set, and build carts to carry them instead of having them loaded up. I have some pictures of the carts, but the wheels are the first hurdle. If I had one, I could cast my own for the lot.

Sounds like more work than I had planned. But can be overcome. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd agree that the 1980s Airfix kit (Not their original 1950s kit!!) is the best overall for shape, with the current Revell kit being more than passable, and fairly easily corrected. The Hasegawa kit would come third, if pushed.
I think the new Airfix kits are due out sometime soon, but I haven't seen a release date yet. They are also releasing a set of ground support equipment and vehicles, to include a truck, tractor, bomb trollies, SBCs and bombs, and servicing gantries etc.
Here's a couple of shots of the unmodified Revell kit I built a while back, to give an idea of what it looks like when built.
I forgot to add, the biggest single drawback on the Revell kit is the main wheels (the wing dihedral is not that noticeable, and can be corrected if desired). They are moulded very plain, and a little small. Replacement resin wheels will correct this - I just drilled and engraved the rims on mine, to improve the look.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 171.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 171.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 277
  • Avro, Bomber GB 172.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 172.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Avro, Bomber GB 173.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 173.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Avro, Bomber GB 174.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 174.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Just before coming online and to the forum I looked over the kit canopy compared to some photos and now I see what you mean about incorrect framing. Looks like a good time to experiment with sanding and remasking. I would assume at this point the Ed mask would match the incorrect frame.

I had seen another build where the builder added some styrene between the halves of the wheels to widen them a bit.

The smaller tail wheel would be great Terry, don't know if I could do anything with the kit part.

It'll be another Test.

Bill

Well remember that build Terry, and wanted to add earlier the Revell kit does look great as is in the right hands!

Just meant dimensionally the other two are more correct, plus I think companies go overboard with the recessed panel lines. Looking at a real lanc, you don't notice the panel lines, but the rivets yes.
Also something about the rear canopy and ridge it fits into on the Revell and Hasegawa kits disturbs me, only the Airfix ('80s) kits got the curve and look of this area right IMO.

Personally, I do think the lack of dihedral is noticable in the Revell wings too - which makes them perfect for the Lincoln conversion! (lower dihedral). Regardless of donor kit, I plan to use a set of Revell wings for this project.

Vic, good idea re the canopy. If I had access to Kleer or similar I would try that method myself.
With the wings, yep, they will need to be sawn and fixed down.

Have to say, really keen to see the new Airfix Lanc kits Terry... really hoping they retain that correct outline with better detailing!

Btw, this is a great link for comparing the current 3 best kits:
Building the Avro Lancaster in 1/72 Scale

Not a Facebook subscriber. Looks like the place to go for comparison tho.

Found a diagram showing the dihedral. Looks like it's 6:1 From the flat to the wing tip. Yes?
As long as I am armed with the correct dimension I feel okay about correcting it.

Last edited:
Not facebook Bill - wouldn't catch me near it if it was. If you can't open the link, try googling the title.

Don't know how to work out the aspect/ratio myself, but from a scaled up drawing, I put lower wing angle at 8°

Last edited:
It was downloadable but registration to facebook was required.

As for the dihedral. I found a drawing, at the root it is 8 degrees. But then when I was alookin at it, the engine is plumb and not at right angles to the wing root. So if one were to adjust the dihedral on a kit, the engine nacel would have to be rotated as well. So, it can't be all that bad as is, eh?

Yeah, best just to leave it then Bill... load her up with bombs and say it's from the weight!

Btw, I didn't have to register with 'farce'book to download that site. Try googling it, as it's downloadable from various links.

From what I see, the big scales are slowly taking over the model world so no doubt they will some time Terry...

Incredible how much the 1:48 and larger scale kits outweigh the '72nd selections in the LHS's and model market now. Wasn't like that a few of years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back