B 17 Part

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 25, 2020
Hi everyone
we are preparing an exhibition in Aeroscopia museum in Toulouse on the B 17 that crashed near Toulouse in June 1944 and we have found this part
it looks like an oscillator, so, it would be in the radio, to tune the frequencies, if I am not wrong.
Your opinion, gentlemen?
Thanks
Gilles

Attachments

• R1..jpg
    R1..jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 2
  • R2..jpg
    R2..jpg
    470 KB · Views: 2
Another B 17 question :
we found a zipper on this B17 crash site and I was wodering where - beyond the clothes of the crews - there were zippers.
Maybe on some leather protections housing?
where were they located in the A/C ?
Thanks a lot and have a great Sunday
Gilles

Attachments

• ZIPPER 1.JPG
    ZIPPER 1.JPG
    590 KB · Views: 3
  • ZIPPER 2 . JPG.jpg
    ZIPPER 2 . JPG.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 3
It looks very similar to what you are describing........they were metal plate tuning capacitors for the transmitters and receivers...
As you would turn the frequency dials (Kc or Mc, Kilocycle or Megacycle as they were labeled then usually, we use Khz , Mhz today, Kilohertz Megahertz) the sections of metal plates would move into and out of one another, parallel, in close proximity to tune to the selected frequency. I've looked at my BC-375 and BC-348 tuners and they don't match but there are several other transmitters/receivers/antenna tuners that went into bombers and used this same tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back