B-17 Parts found at local airbase

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Guys

I am a new member and have joined up because I live very close to an old B-17 Bomber base in the UK and often find old bits dug up by the ploughs in the fields. I have 2 bits that I am trying to identify and am not sure that they are even from a B-17 but have part numbers on them so am hoping maybe someone who does know a lot about B-17 parts will tell me. I previously had a part which took me weeks to identify and found it in a online book for B-17's which was a maintenance guide but I no longer seem to be able to find this online. The part was a Hydraulic Power Unit Reservoir.

The 2 items I have now hoping to identify are these

12cm x 12cm

And this one

16cm x 9.5cm

I obviously have also found loads of other bits from the base and personal items from the wonderful men and women that were stationed there.

I hope to hear from someone.

Neil

Last edited:
Neither number comes up in my B-17 parts list but that does not mean it is not from the B-17. The could be parts off things like turrets, radios and any other installed equipment not designed by Boeing.
Some dimensions would help - a tape measure or ruler in the photo is always a good idea.
Cheers

1585775510581.png

Note it was factory fitted to B-17F aircraft 42-30617 to 42-31031 and 685 were used in service installation kits.
It was also fitted to B-17G aircraft 42-31032 to 38589 and 39590 on
It was a part of 9-3642 and four were fitted to the first two serial groups but only two fitted starting on aircraft 42-385900.
Unfortunately part 9-3642 does not appear in the B-17G parts listing or any other documents I have which could suggest that it was removed and replaced by another part later in the life of the aircraft.
1585776440168.png

Given 3-20500 was most likely riveted to 9-3642 the absence of rivet holes in your example suggests it was one of the 685 that were included in service (modification) kits

Attachments

• 1585774868787.png
    1585774868787.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 1585775190181.png
    1585775190181.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 120
There are other systems that can have filler doors like engine oil, anti-icing, hydraulics, etc but yes it is possibly a fuel filler flange.

I have no problem with you posting other parts for identification, especially at present when covid is around (though I am now doing some home maintenance that would normally be done later like repainting the interior) so I may not respond quickly. At present our internet often times out because all the kids are home and either internet schooling or otherwise using bandwidth

Last edited:
Thanks so much and happy decorating. The Filler Door Flange did have rivets on it just didn't show them well in the picture - think this unit suffered some serious battle damage

This is the new part for ID along with the stamps etc on it - the part number is to damaged but started with a 3

Thanks again

See if you can find a p/n on the part attached to the filler door flange and that may help. I forgot to mention above there are also glycol filler caps for the cabin heat system but they are only on the inboard nacelles.

ID3 is easy - it is a heater from the glycol system

1585827543636.png

1585827615548.png

wow thanks - you better get back to your decorating now - if I find anything else I will post it here

Just posting this picture as one of my favourite finds - 50 Cal Belt

That is not a belt - it is an ammunition feed chute that connects the ammo box to the machine gun and channels the ammunition belt between the box and the gun. The disintegrating links hold the 50 cal. rounds together to form a belt that slides through the the chute. When to gun is fired the bolt of the MG strips the round out of the belt and into the chamber. This results in the links coming apart (disintegrating), and the next round sliding into position to be fed into the gun in the same manor.

That is not a belt - it is an ammunition feed chute that connects the ammo box to the machine gun and channels the ammunition belt between the box and the gun. The disintegrating links hold the 50 cal. rounds together to form a belt that slides through the the chute. When to gun is fired the bolt of the MG strips the round out of the belt and into the chamber. This results in the links coming apart (disintegrating), and the next round sliding into position to be fed into the gun in the same manor.

Thanks Paul thats great to know - that's why I am here to learn. Would these be prone to damage then or would this one have sustained battle damage - or did they just get frequently replaced?? Reason I am asking is middle section is still in good shape but ends are devastated.

Was the ammunition feed chute stationary? Or maybe in a loop that channels the ammunition belt into the gun?

Attachments

• MacArthur posing with waist gunner.jpg
    MacArthur posing with waist gunner.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 124
So as this is about B-17's I guess questions on the bits used with the ordnance will be ok as well.

The first photo is a bit of arming wire and the clamp which held the wire tight until it was released from the bomb shackle

I have found loads of these bits plus below but am not sure what their role was - can someone help me please

I am sure these two parts would have been similar but they have totally different part numbers

Part number - W8438929-FD

Part Number - 8456342-CH

Any ideas what these two parts were for???

Last edited:
So as this is about B-17's I guess questions on the bits used with the ordnance will be ok as well.

The first photo is a bit of arming wire and the clamp which held the wire tight until it was released from the bomb shackle

I have found loads of these bits plus below but am not sure what their role was - can someone help me please

I am sure these two parts would have been similar but they have totally different part numbers

Part number - W8438929-FD

Part Number - 8456342-CH

Any ideas what these two parts were for???

No sign of them in the B-17G parts list or of any parts with vaguely similar numbers so I would say they are a vendor part but of what I do not know.
The numbers look vaguely familiar but I am darned if I can place them

No sign of them in the B-17G parts list or of any parts with vaguely similar numbers so I would say they are a vendor part but of what I do not know.
The numbers look vaguely familiar but I am darned if I can place them

Did some research and this is what I found for the 8456342-CH part - Supercharger cooler cap securing bracket. Attaches the cooler cap scoop over the bucket wheel on the supecharger unit supposedly.

Did some research and this is what I found for the 8456342-CH part - Supercharger cooler cap securing bracket. Attaches the cooler cap scoop over the bucket wheel on the supecharger unit supposedly.

Good one. I guess the numbers were familiar because they are probably the same on the P-38. I never worked on the B-17 but did work on several P-38s.

Hi Guys / Gals

Hopefully everyone is keeping safe in these terrible times

Back again with a new part and hopefully we can get it identified - 50 Cal round to show size

Has company name ALCOA on it and a part number 43-8753 and the symbol in photo 3 - Any ideas??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back