B-25 weapons thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yanks Air Museum that I seen in last 2 weeks.

1.JPG
DSC_0301.JPG
DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0307.JPG
DSC_0308.JPG

While I'm at it a few more displays.

As to
Much better than the current paint job.
20170923_111714.jpg

but under the old paint...
Picture 7080.jpg
Picture 7186.jpg

Cavanagh Flight Museum flight worthy plane several years ago, How Boot that

IMG_0650.jpg
IMG_0651.jpg
IMG_0652.jpg
IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg

Lackland AFB, Texas parade ground has a large selection of historical USAAF/USAF aircraft, here is their B-25, I marched this last Aug, 1977! This is from a few years sine that fateful day.
Lackland AFB (32).jpg

Mobile AL, USS Alabama Memorial has a B-25 and the juxtaposition B-52
MVC-097F.JPG
MVC-126F.JPG

That's enough for now I guess.

Last edited:
Pima front half of B-25, sorry best I can do shooting through Plexi-glass
Great details, Paul!
So many new (and old) ones to use or discuss. The nose in the PBJ-colours is obviously a composite one. I like this photo very much:
dsc_0070-jpg.jpg

One can see the patch over the opening for the second fixed gun and accordingly to that the big plate for the flexible one (moved 4" higher). This change came with block J-20. In the same time this nose has a bombardier's window in the floor, relatively rare for the J-model and AFAIK used only on block J-1. I must check what was the original the museum used.
BTW I see for the first time yellow cushions with USMC stencils on them. I never new everything was changed up to such detail!
Thanks for the amazing "journey"!

Last edited:
Another B-25 from Pima
The second Pima-Mitchell has a B-25J-1 serial (and stencils), but patches over 2 fixed guns openings and a big plate for the flexible one. No bombardier's window in the floor this time.
The good thing is that the engine cowlings are the original ones with all "Clayton"-stacks and with the flat Holley-carburetor intake, even after this a/c was modified to a TB-25J and then to a TB-25N. This could be another museum's change or the real plane's engine(s). The most of the other restored Mitchells shown in this thread have post-war Ryan Aeronautical Company's cowlings and intakes.
dsc_0322-jpg.jpg

The second "football" antenna is always a sign for some use as a transport as well (generals' plane). Here's what I found:

Jun 1944 To 11th Air Force, Elmendorf AAF, Alaska, via Great Falls AAF, Montana. Exactly what service this aircraft saw in Alaska is not clear. The 11th Air Force historian's office indicates that it served with the 28th Bomb Group, 77th Bomb Squadron at Lexi Point Field on the island of Attu. However, other evidence including photographs and the memories of Major General Harry A. Johnson indicates that he appropriated the aircraft for use as his personal transport and that he retained the use of the aircraft for the remainder of his military career.

Last edited:
Found this in my collection of photo's, no idea where I got it but guessing the web. Looks to be a photo recon B-25 but don't remember ever seeing the instrument in front of the camera's with the lever with eyepiece and handle straight out. Anyone have any idea what it is.

14441123_1808351389410849_6970724579249737582_n.jpg

Found this in my collection of photo's, no idea where I got it but guessing the web. Looks to be a photo recon B-25 but don't remember ever seeing the instrument in front of the camera's with the lever with eyepiece and handle straight out. Anyone have any idea what it is.

View attachment 715998
It looks like a blower for (probably heated) air to me. Don't know what's the function of the eyepiece though. The gauge on the left side looks pretty much like a manometer and 3 hoses are coming out of the base of the "thing". Never seen a similar photo before - another A+ for Paul!:cheers:

Last edited:
I think that is a heating arrangement for the observation window that the camera operator would use for sighting the camera. The eyepiece is probably for a 30°-40° bend spotting scope (possibly heated also?) used for sighting the cameras/aircraft line of flight through the observation window (or part of the nose perspex). Also 3x hoses for 3x camera windows used by trimetrogon camera? Would they use a manometer for pressure altitude? Just a WAG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back