B-29 Haley's Comet under research

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Your arrangement is always perfect, Micdrow.
Thank you very much.

A Happy New Year to You All!!!

Picture below is of Capt Teruhiko Kobayshi of the 244th Sentai who was credited with the kill.

Born in 1920 and entered the Army Miltiary Academy in late 1930's to graduate in the 53rd class. On the opening day of the Pacific war he participated in the bombing of Hong Kong. Kobayshi survived the war and joined the Self Defense Airforce but on 4 June 1957 was killed in a training accident when the T-33 he was flying crashed on landing at Hamamatsu Airbase in bad weather. Capt Teruhiko ordered his subordinate to eject from the aircraft when it had develped technical problems in flight.

Attachments

• j_ace012.jpg
    j_ace012.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 68
Thank you Micdrow for your introduction of Teruhiko Kobayshi.

Yes, when we talk about the air-raids by the B-29s over Tokyo during 1944-1945, we should refer to the 244th Sentai(Combat unit) of the army as well as 302nd Ku(Air) of the navy. They were the major units to protect the Japanese capital.

You are welcome, Wayne and Heinz.

Beside "Haley's Comet", I have been concerned with B-29 since my childhood because my mother experienced a midnight air-raid by the B-29s on July 10, 1945 when she was fourteen.

What she was scared was not necessarily the bombing itself though she and her family(mother, brothers and sisters) were almost about to die as all public shelters were fulfilled with the citizens of Sendai City except one private shelter which was hidden inside a greenhouse on a cliff. My mother and her family were very fortunate to be invited there by a sophisticated senior kind lady.

What she was horrified was, she told me, those wounded people who dressed their burnt faces as if a Egyptian mummy next morning.

I was told many such stories by the grownups then repeatedly and bored because not a few my elementary school teachers were also former army or navy officers and soldiers.

A former sergeant was proud of his very loud voice. It was funny for us that a former military man taught us the American democracy.
A deputy headteacher was an IJA second lieutenant and always asked us to keep attention in front of him.

Everything looked funny for us young boys but now, I appreciate them because I can anyhow understand what they experienced in the war and tell their stories to the world.

I also thank B-29 to give me a chance to contact with such wonderful people like you all in the world.

Thank you, friends!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back