B-29 X-section (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
i am a collector of military models, mostly diecast such as the franklin mint armor. i found that many models i wanted to include were not made so i began to make these from kits.
now my question: i have noticed that many kits go into extreme detail in places where that detail will never be seen. recently i purchased a revell b-29 1/48 scale kit. i am building/painting cockpit, bomb bay, waist gunner, tail gunner interior details THEN the two fuselage halfs get glued together and all that work/detail vanishes. the interior might as well be empty.
anyone have a workable idea on making some type of X-section of this or any other model? it would be nice if one half were clear plastic

Well Revell now has out a B-17 as you describe with the clear fuse on one side.I have seen guys cut a hole(section) on one side of the fuse to allow one to see in and then paint that border of the fuse red.You could take it one step futher and put some of those small railroad lites inside to allow a better view also.I did the engines on a B-26 Marauder and put a red light in the pit came out pretty nice at least the little guy had fun with it for a while.Cheers Kevin

i thought about just building one side but think that would look weird. what would you cut with? one of those xacto razor saws? i also have a dremel but friction might melt the plastic
javil, i am somewhat familiar with those "grain-of-wheat" lights? LEDs? how do i power them? run the wires? switch?
saw one guy who put 4 LEDs in the afterburner of a jet and had a circuit board built to light them in a sequence to simulate the jet exhaust. more skill then i have
many thanks for the help. after hours building and painting some intricate interior detail they have you seal it up. one would think the companies would make some way to either reveal the detail or just leave the model empty and concentrate on the exterior.
again my thanks any further suggestions are deeply appreciated
mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back