B-52 crashes near Guam (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My guess is this has nothing to do with age related metal fatigue. Rather, it will likely be something much more preventable. We've already lost too many flyers and airframes to high bank angle maneuvers. Will be interesting to see what is blamed as the cause in the final report. We can armchair all day on what "might have happened". But the BUFF is notorious for having an unrecoverable mode during high bank angles. And all crew lost? Smacks of low altitude. Who knows.

I was looking for more info about this case and I just realize that some of the crew seats ejected downwards ....no good.

Yeah... especially at low altitude. I don't know if the BUFF is like other dual seat fighter aircraft where the ejection can be mastered to the pilot. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that one.

Yeah... especially at low altitude. I don't know if the BUFF is like other dual seat fighter aircraft where the ejection can be mastered to the pilot. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that one.
I'm not 100% sure but I think the ones that eject downward don't have any squibs - they are free falling.

I work with a guy who is a former B-52 gunner, he get back from vacation in a few weeks, I'll try to remember to ask him.

My condolences to the families.

:salute:

Joe you are correct with the downward seats (not 100% sure though about the squibs). I saw a documentary on the B-52 and they demonstrated the ejection process. Just cant quite remember how it all went.

Each crew station has its escape hatch and ejection seat.
This unit contains a description of the various components that make up the B-52G egress systems.
These systems include the upward ejection system, downward ejection system, and their respective escape hatches.

A complete system description at B-52 Egress System

Attachments

• B52.gif
    B52.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 47

Users who are viewing this thread

Back