B24D question.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How did researchers allow an A/C with prewar red disc in star insignia appear in Louie's homecoming in 1945?
It can actually be easily overlooked, as the U.S. insignia changed many times between Pearl Harbor and V-J day...and in some cases, there were several different types in use at the same time, in different theaters.

What movie producers need to do, is consult with us before they start filming! :lol:

I think that's a splendid idea. It certainly would have helped prevent the disaster known as "Pearl Harbor". Kate (the actress not the bomber) was the only thing they got right.

I read somewhere that the historical advisor to 'Pearl Harbour' fought tooth and nail to even get it as close as it was.

Maybe the owner of the plane didnt want to get it painted out? If youre nitpicking to this level, that means they did a goid job overall.

There's water colors available that are easily washed off for a movie shoot, I've seen them used. I think this was a oversight but for the most part was one of the more accurately done aviation war flicks...

Did B24D's flying in 1942/43 in the PTO have a non-turret open rear gunner station? Not the turret version I always thought they had.
Hi, Syscom3. Jeremy here. I'm new on the forum and just getting to know the B-24D while doing some research -- which brought me to your thread. I came across an account from a veteran from the 307th who flew in the "wide open" tail of a B-24D (no turret). He said that he would lay on his belly while at the gun. That has me very confused -- seems impossible based on pictures I've seen. I'm wondering if your research into alternate tail configurations turned up anything that would make this seem possible? Thanks in advance for any light you can shed...

Hi gents,

The Hawaiian Air Depot (HAD) had several mods to B-24Ds, with each variation keyed to the user air force (Fifth, Seventh, or Thirteenth). I've passed all my documents to another researcher, but the tail turrets could be removed to save weight and/or provide a nose turret for the same or another aircraft. Much of this is in Alan Griffith's Consolidated Mess, and I expect more details in his upcoming glass-nosed Liberator book.

Cheers,

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back