Back in the late 1990's...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dans65

Airman
May 25, 2010
Arlington, Va.
...this B-17 was at Andrews for the Air Show and after the show it required shelter from the incoming hail storm. And we had a hangar available here are some pictues I had takened.
img034.jpg

img038.jpg

img042.jpg

img044.jpg

img046.jpg

img050.jpg

img060.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

It was a real big treat for us maintainers and we took care of her while it stayed the night. We actually had to re-service the tail wheel after it's quick turn to be able to back it into the hangar, and toured it alittle closer.
img048.jpg

img052.jpg

img057.jpg

img063.jpg

20visit/img058.jpg[/IMG]

The B-17 was towed into the hangar with hours to spare and never got hit with the hail storm. And Yeah, in the late eighties, I was in Crewchief school and there was a P-40E parked in the hangar with hail damage and it required disassembly to trailer it back to it's home station. The damage had impaled the wings heavy dents enough to disrupt the air flow over the wings, very sad. I have no ideal what ever happened to that plane, and at that time, it was flyable. I have a picture of it somewhere, unfortunately, my ugly face is in the picture...Sorry!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back