Baracca's Stallion Color guide needed :D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
So I was taking a look at some of the Blue Rider WW1 Decals I purchased today and I noticed something interesting, they specificly note that some of the decals that are usually applied in black (Baccara's prancing Stallion, Calabria's skull) are in fact red, red meaning the pilot is alive and flying and black being he is dead and as a toast to his career etc.

There amazing decals, but I don't want to make the Italian Stallion's (the first Italian Stallion :D) mount just to figure out I got the Color wrong on it. Do any Italians know of the markings on the WW1 Nieuports ? :D Non Italians knowing this info. can help out too :D

Humm.. Callabria's skull... I don't think it was of red. Contrary to the balck colour the red one looks much lighter and "queasily" rater in B&W pictures. The one in the image below looks different.

ruffoni17.jpg

fulco_ruffo_stemma.jpg

Last edited:
every time I hit edit it ends up making a new post *annoyed*

Last edited:
Thank you Wurger, it indeed looks black on Calabria's mount and I'll most likely use the black logo unless some other photos appear that lends it to a red logo (highly unlikely)

I found some more info. to the Prancing Horse Logo here:

The Insane Story Behind Ferrari's Famed Prancing Horse Logo [Video] | Co.Design: business + innovation + design

It says in the bio. that the logo was red during his life and that Ferrari used it in Black to comemorate Francesco.

Yep... it could have been. But it looks like a kind of an advert rather.

Here you are a shot of his Spad fighter with the emblem. At glance it seems the colour of the "horse" is the same that was used for the side roundel. So the question is , what colours were used for the roundel, red/white/green or red/white/red or maybe other set of paints? I do think none of these. It is a matter of light conditions or a kind of a negative used for the picture. Please, look at the second one. There was more sunlight and colours of the side roundel look different, especially comparing to the emblem that seems to be black with red wings.

francesco_baracca_spadvii.jpg

spad.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back