Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

here's a hurri wreck in africa. must have been straffed or bombed...prop isnt bent. italian troops and german officer inspect the wreckage.

Attachments

• Hurricane-wreck-North-Africa.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 445
Could be a forced landing, where the pilot used the onboard incediary charge to destroy the aircraft. The seat of the fire appears to be in the right area for where the charge was carried. Great pic BTW.

Yep, it's a Stirling, and I think it was actually a flak burst (certainly looks like a lot of splinter punctures), but I'm not sure. I've got a pic somewhere showing slightly more of the aircraft, plus a few details regarding the damage - if I can remember which book it's in!

Well I can confirm it's a Stirling! It was 'O - Orange', from 75 (NZ) Sqn, RAF, and was hit on a raid over Duisburg, on 26th April, 1943. The pic is from the Imperial War Museum, ref CE58.
The caption in my book only states 'Rear turret damage', and the above info. But, judging by the varied angles and sizes of the punctures, including those on the bulkhead inside the rear gunner's escape hatch, and the area of the spread, I'd say it was a flak burst.
I thought there was a little bit more of the rear of the aircraft visble in the photo in my book, but it's the same.

Gentlemen,
Happy new year to you all ! I have been away for too long.

Aircraft was Stirling III BF517 AA-O of 75(NZ) Sqn from Newmarket. Target Duisburg, date 26 April 1943. Attacked by Bf 110 night-fighter, cannon fire destroyed rear turret. RG Sgt Brian Rogers, aged 22 from Leyton was killed. WOp and MUG both wounded in the attack. Pilot F/O Peter Buck DFC crash-landed at base on return. Stirling was repaired and flew with 1657 HCU; SoC on 19 July 1945.

Please keep the BD pictures coming !

Regs,

BC

Great info BC. Just one anomaly - by this date, 75 Sqn codes I think had changed from 'AA' to 'JN', at least after October 1942, although I don't have a specific date of the change.

If it was a Bf110, I'm wondering then, if it was a Bf110G with a combination of MG151/20 and Mk108 30mm, because the variety of damage looks like it was hit with everything but the kitchen sink.

Also, the Mk108 Minengeschoss rounds would have resulted in the large jagged holes (appearing like flak damage)...

Users who are viewing this thread