Battle Damaged Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Attachments

• A10_missle_damage_small.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 468
  • att00009.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 465
Agree there Chris. If the shells impacted and exploded under the skin, then that would account for the varied angles of the punctures, appearing as what I thought might be splinter holes, some of which might even be from 'chunks' of the Stirlings' structure disintegrating and blowing outwards.

A couple more to keep things rolling !

HNY !

BC

Attachments

• [001304]_1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 426
  • [001293]_1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 05nmm.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 418
You can only wonnder at the skill involved in landing a plane in that condition. Just lining up for the runway must be a nightmare. You can see the aircraft is fully loaded with some sort of RPV under the wing which wouldn't have helped.

Anyone any idea as to what happened, the only thing I can think of is a mid air.

Certainly could be. I was looking at the lack of any other damage. Also the paint job didn't strike me as being a front line scheme. I haven't seen such a large light stripe down the middle before.

I must stress that I am only guessing.

Did a little digging, and found out the story behind that particular B-52:

I also read that the pilot lowered the gear while inflight to help stabilize the craft...here's another view:

Attachments

• TaillessB52.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 400
I did not see these in the previous pages but I do apologize if they are duplicates. From Warren Bodie's book "The Lockheed P-38 Lightning", published by Widewing.

WJP

Attachments

• p-38-2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 410
  • p-38-1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 398
My great uncle Pete was a side gunner in a B-24. I believe he flew out of North Africa and Italy. Here are a couple pictures of him and his aircraft with some flak damage. Close call.....

Gentlemen,

My apologies for straying OT - in my excitement I clean forgot this is WW 2 Aircraft.net !

However, they are still amazing pictures of stricken aircraft, are they not ?

The jury are still out regarding the pic of the P-38 with the Halifax III fin wedged in the wing. Nobody has yet managed to ID the latter, which must have been seriously damaged irrespective of where the MAC took place, and therefore recorded in RAF documents at the time.

There are also pictures of an Italy-based B-24 which DID have an 88mm shell explode in the upper fuselage, blowing off much of the upper fuselage skinning and killing one (or two, reports differ) of the crew.

Many thanks for sharing the last two.

Regs,

BC

Attachments

• [000638].jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 519
  • [000316].jpg
    11 KB · Views: 513
This is the B-24 I mentioned earlier:

BC

Attachments

• B24backWEB300.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 482
Haven't posted to this thread for a while, so here's one picture...

Rotnik Peter Chebeň inspecting damage to his Il-2 which was hit by a flak during a combat sortie. Despite heavy damage on the wing pilot managed safely to return to base. Picture taken at airfield Poremba in April 1945.

Source: "Slovenske letectvo 1939-1945" Volume 3

Attachments

• Copy of img_113.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 481

Users who are viewing this thread