Battle Damaged B-17s (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I had never imagined something like that :shock:
A bomber bombing a bomber?
What kind of accident is this?? :shock:

Attachments

• bombed_tail1.jpg
    bombed_tail1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 674
  • bombed_tail2.jpg
    bombed_tail2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 674
  • bombed_tail3.jpg
    bombed_tail3.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 673
  • bombed_tail4.jpg
    bombed_tail4.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 668
You're probably right about jumping the gun - creepback was a pretty common occurance. Can't really blame the crews for being eager to unload and get the Hell away though.

Here's a quote from Wireless Operator W 'Bill' Wareham's story of flying Lancasters in 467 Squadron, RAF Waddington.

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/airfields/waddington.html

.....You did have a 'creepback', because what used to happen was that obviously you wanted to get rid of your bombs, because it was quite a frightening few minutes, where your bomb doors were open and the aircraft was very vulnerable. You were making these corrections and the aircraft was going at a minimum speed, with the open doors adding to the drag. Everyone is getting at the bomb aimer to get rid of the bombs. Some bomb aimers, and ours, would at times, instead of getting to the centre, drop their bombs on certain fires that had been created by people that had gone before you. So you did tend to get this 'creepback'. I think it was fear, as much as anything and wanting to get the job done.

A Br 21 that came through the opposite side and blew this side out and slightly upward...........and yet the craft made it back

Attachments

• side6.jpg
    side6.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 639
But i knew there was a plane there in the first place otherwise I wouldnt have asked the question...therefore unfeasible...

Me thinks you'd have had a similar problem...when its a close up of a very undetailed part of a plane which would be hard to tell in the first place, its made harder with a huge hole in the side...

So, whild is that LIKE wild but MUCH wilder...like instead of Rolf Harris in the morning hair...it's Jodie Marsh sloshed off her face at a strippers party...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back