Battle of Midway

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

reading what the japs did to you american cousins brings a lump to my throat.and to think at the end of the war they basically walked free from the crimes they comitted because everyone seemed to follow the geneva convention c**p.no doubt though behind the scenes many extracted some pay back on the japs.

The war in the Pacific was hellish. Both sides dehumanized each other and it was merciless. I have seen film clips of some of that action and it is brutal and gritty.

jrk said:
reading what the japs did to you american cousins brings a lump to my throat.and to think at the end of the war they basically walked free from the crimes they comitted because everyone seemed to follow the geneva convention c**p.no doubt though behind the scenes many extracted some pay back on the japs.

Welcome jrk - My wife's grandfather was a Japanese POW. He wrote a book about his experience - "Surviving the Day." He did testify against some of his captors and they were executed.

Taking nothing away from the Americans suffered but; you know the Japanese did it to any soldier they captured? Don't make me list every nationality fighting the Japanese.

Yes, they did. The also did horrible things to the civilians as well. Nanking is a perfect example, but that scenario was repeated on a smaller scale on islands throughout the Pacific.

Some of the soldiers were dropped on islands with no food and told to use "local provisions". Some of these islands didn't have enough food for the indigenous popuation as it was. In some cases, the soldiers resorted to canabalism.

To me the whole bloody war was just a butchers block from Artic too the Eastern front through the concentration camps,and down to the Pacific.
I'm just very thankful I am too young to have had to experience it.
But I take my hat of to all those guys and girls who made it finish before my time of what ever nationality.

Surprisingly the Japanese in Burma treated civilians with respect and dignity. Possibly due to the Burmese new governments support for Japan. The new government being installed by Japan, it was merely an anti-British leadership.

Also, Burma was promised to be under the Japanese influence but under their own control. None of that happened out in the Pacific or China, they were just under Japanese rule and boot.

Welcome jrk - My wife's grandfather was a Japanese POW. He wrote a book about his experience - "Surviving the Day." He did testify against some of his captors and they were executed.

thanks for the welcome flyboyj.i,m glad to hear that some of the............i wont even go there sorry.i,m glad to hear a number of them got what they deserved.hopefully it was those who commited the attrocities in the first place.

plan_D said:
Taking nothing away from the Americans suffered but; you know the Japanese did it to any soldier they captured? Don't make me list every nationality fighting the Japanese.

british,american,australian,new zealand,dutch,indian,chinese,gurkhas,burmese

to name but a few.

there you go you didnt have to list anyone its done for you.

i wasnt sure whether they fought that far out mr leonard.sorry thats why i was in 2 minds whether to include them or not.

appologies

That list was no where near complete, jrk. That is why I don't want to list everyone who fought the Japanese.

There were very few Canadian troops in the Pacific Theatre. A contingent of just under 2000 men had been sent to aid in the defence of Hong Kong, and the survivors were certainly brutalized by the Japanese while in captivity. For the most part, the rest were close to home helping the Americans in the Aleutians. There may have been the odd Canadian soldiers in the British Army, but I don't know.
The RCN saw somewhat limited action in the Pacific, but several thousand Canadian sailors served there "on loan" to the Royal Navy, including the FAA.

I was thinking of the two battalions at Hong Kong. Took some pretty serious losses, combat and POW, before all was said and done, as I recall.

Regards,

Rich

I met a few Canadians who were captured at Hong Kong - we worked together at Canadair. If it was up to them the whole Japanese race would be extinct? Why do you think they feel that way!

They must have been Nova Scotians. :twisted:
But seriously, they were treated like absolute sh*t just like all Allied prisoners. Slave labour, the lot. They were treated worse than animals, and had every right to loathe the Japanese.

plan_D said:
That list was no where near complete, jrk. That is why I don't want to list everyone who fought the Japanese.

so give your full list then plan d.i,m interested to hear your views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back