Battle of Midway.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've got this book. It's a great read. Excellent narrative with lots of great information in the back, including much info on the Japanese ships and aircraft, maps, and lots of other goodies.

Worth every cent.

Agree great book (though I borrowed it from a local Library), fascinating the difference in tactical doctrine, how the percieved the US dotrine to be - but wasn't, and how even the culture of the Japanes society affected the conduct of before and after the battle.
Interesting too, to explore the 'what if' of what might have happened if the USN had lost the naval battle. Would Midway then become similar to the first invasion of Wake Island though on a bigger scale (of Japanes casualties)?

Interesting too, to explore the 'what if' of what might have happened if the USN had lost the naval battle. Would Midway then become similar to the first invasion of Wake Island though on a bigger scale (of Japanes casualties)?

The author speculated that the invasion would have been a debacle for the Japanese.

They simply didnt have the doctrine and specialized eqmt to attack a defended island.

Look at the terible cost at Tarawa when the USMC had a doctrine and eqmt.

Hmmmm.....funny....I thought that I posted a similar thread about the battle of Coral Sea.....but I can't find it...weird!

Henderson Field was on Guadalcanal. Not sure what the field was named at Midway. Anyway, they were two different battles. One was purely defensive, counter punching. The other was the first offensive advance of the Pacific War for the Allies.

I have a picture of the three hangers built by the Japanese at Henderson field. They are in a book called, Guadacanal-The Definative Account of the Landmark Battle by Richard B. Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back