Battle of Monte Cassino-18.05.1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've read his first two books, Sys, both EXCELLENT accounts. First one, "An Army At Dawn", follows Patton's US Army from its kick-off in New York, to Africa, and to its eventual victory over the Afrika Korps. I'm lookin forward to reading the third book in the series, too!

I have the audio book version for both of these (makes for good listening while commuting to and from work).

My local library just bought these books and I checked out the first one you mentioned.

Yes indeed, these are great books.

I've read "An Army at Dawn," and I gotta say, I really liked it. It took me awhile to get through, but Rick Atkinson really did his homework with the research, and it has a lot of detail, which I love. I also have the "Day of Battle," but I haven't read it yet. But, I did read Douglas Porch's "The Path of Victory." I thought it was interesting to find out that, even though the Allies were suffering a lot in attacking up through Italy, in the end the Germany Army would suffer more than the Allies. On page 656, Porch puts the final tally of casualties on the German side at 536,000, as opposed to 312,000 casualties for the Allies (this is from U.S. Army estimates).

9780374529765.jpg

Ferdinand, I'm still reading his first book. I need to have a dictionary with me while reading it. He uses words I've never heard before.

Its like I'm reading a book in high school!

Ferdinand, I'm still reading his first book. I need to have a dictionary with me while reading it. He uses words I've never heard before.

Its like I'm reading a book in high school!

What, Atkinson? Yeah, it took me a long time too. I think it was about two years that I read it, but that's just because I read one hundred pages over christmas break, then took about a thriteen month hiatus before I ended up finishing it. It's so rich in detail that you need time to digest all of it. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back