BATTLE OF THE NIGHT FIGHTERS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's like this. The Bf110 was the most successful twin of all time in terms of kills day and night. Ranked by high-score of the best ace*, it is third of all fighters behind Bf109 (Hartmann)and FW190 (Kittel), with Schnaufer's 121 kills. It may well be third of all fighters in total victories but good numbers are hard to find. It's in the running, anyhow.

The P-61? Totally irrelevant. Might as well have never existed.

* I rank fighters this way because to be well up on this list an aircraft needs to have seen a lot of combat over a period of time, keep its pilot alive, and be capable of getting kills.

It's like this. The Bf110 was the most successful twin of all time in terms of kills day and night. Ranked by high-score of the best ace*, it is third of all fighters behind Bf109 (Hartmann)and FW190 (Kittel), with Schnaufer's 121 kills. It may well be third of all fighters in total victories but good numbers are hard to find. It's in the running, anyhow.

* I rank fighters this way because to be well up on this list an aircraft needs to have seen a lot of combat over a period of time, keep its pilot alive, and be capable of getting kills.
Both Kittel and Hartmann over claimed a lot that can not be found back in ussr airforce strenght reports etc.

Bf 110s obviously had a lot of targets and opportunities to get kills.

P-61s, not so much.

Both Kittel and Hartmann over claimed a lot that can not be found back in ussr airforce strenght reports etc.

Are Russian reports really accurate though?

Not saying there was not over-claiming, but I also question any Soviet report. We all know what reporting anything negative led to…

if it wasn't Hartman, and I'm quite prepared to agree it may not be, it may be Barkhorn or Rall. It#s pretty sure that the order is 109, 190, 110. Incidentally, and maybe surprising, the top US fighter in this list is, probably, the P-39.

And, and given a target-rich environment the P-61 could have been a contender. But the US never faced anyone who could generate 300,000 sorties by night, so it remains irrelevant though it may have been superior to Bf110 in every way.. Good radar though.

They are the most prominent. There are others who have similar statistics.
They are certainly the pilots with the most scrutinized combat records, I'd say. Has anyone checked the various allied aces lists to the same extent?

They are certainly the pilots with the most scrutinized combat records, I'd say. Has anyone checked the various allied aces lists to the same extent?
Yes, the same folks I mentioned have done similar. I believe Butch O'Hare and Buzz Wagner's combat claims/ kills have been looked at.

The P-61 was described officially as the USAAF's "most maneuverable fighter of WWII." On the other hand maneuverability was not of much use in night fighting. The P-61 was almost certainly more survivable in daylight than any other prop driven night fighter, especially the models equipped with the turret. DH-98 Mossie versus FW-190 or BF-109 one on one in daylight did not do very well, neither did BF-110 versus other fighters. A pilot who did a lot of P-61 test flying said he could beat any four WWII prop driven day fighters in a P-61 with a well trained crew.

In general it's probably fair to claim that any adequate single will beat a twin unless the twin has a speed advantage. Twins are probably easier to see, easier to hit and less maneuverable. Maybe the P-61 coulda woulda. But it didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back