Beaufighter Target Tug pics.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Here you go Daniel, thought I'd post them here rather than the Aviation Pictures section. These are all T10's (which were mainly converted TX torpedo bombers), with the exception of the one on the ground where the winch is visible on the starboard side. That one's the prototype TT. I've got loads more on other Beaus if you need them, including cutaways of Mk1 and MkVI, but the latter are a bit big to scan for posting.

Attachments

• Dan Scan.jpg
    Dan Scan.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
  • Dan Scan 001.jpg
    Dan Scan 001.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Dan Scan 002.jpg
    Dan Scan 002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Dan Scan 004.jpg
    Dan Scan 004.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Dan Scan 005.jpg
    Dan Scan 005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 71
Yes it is. Eric, they are all Target Tug Beaufighters, the third one being the prototype. The 'prop' helped to stream out the drogue cable from the winch, and/or vice versa.

Shut up Lucky, your damn avatar is so distracting I can't think straight.

Why the reduced vertical fin and then the addition of the long vertical strake. Anyone know?

Matt, the fin strake was added part way through the Beau series, in order to increase lateral stability and, I believe, improve handling in turns. Some earlier Marks had it retro-fitted. As far as I know, the fin dimensions remained the same, it's just that the strake makes it look smaller, but I'd have to check on that.

nice pics but the beau wouldn't be my plane of choose if it where a ship attack I would go with SB2C or TBM.

Matt, the fin strake was added part way through the Beau series, in order to increase lateral stability and, I believe, improve handling in turns. Some earlier Marks had it retro-fitted. As far as I know, the fin dimensions remained the same, it's just that the strake makes it look smaller, but I'd have to check on that.

Thanks airframes. Never had seen it before and assumed that it was added for lateral stability related to towing. Just couldn't figure out what about the towing mission resulting in the need for greater lateral stability. Larger rudder...maybe.

It was added BEFORE the aircraft were converted to TT's Matt. Production/ service aircraft had them too.

Users who are viewing this thread