best fighter of ww II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lanc :

the LSNF was abbreviation of the high altitude Mosquito bomber force.

..................... Light Night Striking Force ....................

get in and hit and then fly like crazy for home.

E ~

I apologise, Lanc. Happy-late-Birthday.

Erich, what were the NJG using the 262? And were they all 262A-1a?

the Me 262 unit at night was Kurt Welters 10./NJG 11. Every one of the kills in the big staffel was with the A-1a and only one in the B-1a, although nearly all the pics of the unit show the B-1a in line up after surrender.

Erich ~

Me-262 A-1/a-Fighter/Interceptor
Me-262 A-1/U4 Experimental Zerstorer with a 50mm Mauser Kannone in the Nose
Me-262 A-2/a Fighter Bomber
Me-262 B-1/a Two Seat Trainer
Me-262 B-2/a Two Seat Nightfighter
(There are more, but these are the only ones I know-kinda. I also know of a variant that was used for tests that had a glazed nose and a position for a bombardier, kinda like the pinpoint variant of the P-38)

the first one was the typical fighter encountered in the day light skies over the Reich.

second one was primarily a prototype but did fly with Gallands JV 44 on a couple of missions. the 5cm wepon always jammed and never fired in anger.

# 3 was the bomber used in KG 51, and 54

# 4 was a trainer and just that. not many built and flown as there was not time for new recruits to be trained properly. they got into their operational craft, and sat thge cockpit and with a few manual directions expected to fly off the tarmac and take on the enemy.

the B-1a/U-1 was the two seat night fighter in Kurt Welters outfit but the two seater only scored 1 Mosquito, the single seater still preferred as radar operators came into the unit quite late.

the B-2 unit never saw service but was the palnned replacement for all of the jets in Kommando Welter. An excellent design and it was hopeful that this jet could make a difference in the night skies but the war ended before the jet was ever put into service.

E ~

Hey what do all you lot think about the Me-163...? 8)
I reckon it was the best.
Did you know there was a japanese variant?

Attachments

• komet.jpg
    komet.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 728
  • komet1.jpg
    komet1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 727
The first 163 shot down was flamed by a P-38. And given the chemicals that thing was carrying, most of them flamed on take-off. And having every landing be 'dead-stick' had to be nerve-wracking.

i knew that too :shock: what the..... THE BEST!! :shock: :shock: what are you smokin'? :drinking: Imagine being strapped into a tiny cockpit and being surrounded by the most dangerous and volatile chemicals known to man :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back