best fighter of ww II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wasn't pushing for a vote, I was just interested in what others may have thought, what with this thing about radial-engined fighter/bombers being more 'durable' from engine damage; - the built-in dive-bomber aspect and other general points the Corsair had that might have made it 'useful'.....- They did turn-out to be a formidable F/B and why they chose to use other US aircraft in the ETO instead..... - They were afterall designated to Carrier duties initially, but alot did service from shore-bases in the PTO. - So just a general question guys, no swing either way, just wondered what others may think.........

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._804.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._804.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 328
Well, to be honest. it depends on what year the Corsair would show up in the ETO, and what model.... The Brits did use some Corsairs in the Naval Arm...

But seeing how the Corsair was a Navy/Marine Corps fighter, and there wasnt really any land based Navy/Marine squadrons, I dont think it woulda mattered....

But..... If the RAF or USAAF used them in 1943-44, it could have made a difference.... I wonder how the Me-109 would have compared to the F4U-4 in combat.... I'd probably give it up to the Corsair....

But... Was the Corsair a better opponent to the -109 than the Spit???

Yeah, well I was wondering about that, just how a Corsair and 109/190 would've mixed it...I'm also reading about one of our chaps who flew Typhoons Tempests, and the Corsair seemed to do similar work as them, in the PTO....The Typhoons suffered heavy losses performing the ground-attacks, particuarly the vulnerability of their engine to flak etc...whereas radials, etc. etc....Corsairs also were also higher-altitude fighters too, whereas the Tiffy/Temps were 15-20,000 ft. max.
I dunno if the War would've finished earlier, but the Corsair was definately not used to it's fullest potentials, or in more theatres, and was capable of rockets/bombs, with 6x .5's instead of 4x 20mm though....In some ways similar to a Thunderbolt, but much more versatile, they appear to have been severly under-estimated by the Allies, or I'm sure they'd have been used more extensively.....

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._173.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._173.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 274

Users who are viewing this thread

Back