Best Fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What about maintainance? Just asking, because wood warps with weather.

I imagine that MIGHT have been a problem, but the RAF technicians aren't stupid (far from it) they would have put them under for the night plus the survivability of planes was not all that high in World War 2 so I imagine a few got shot down before that problem arose.
Charles Patterson had the same Mosquito from 1943 to 1945 when the war ended.

Yes, wood is an easy resource to get hold of. And you must remember metal also detoriates with weather, rust is one problem. Fatigue and cracks appear on metal structures as well.

I know metal has problems. My point was that wood can warp with changes in temperature and humidity. I imagine if the Mosquito had ever deployed to the South Pacific that could have caused problems.

I've never heard that, and I doubt it was very many. I have heard that the weather could affect the flight characteristics of the Mosquito over Europe and I imagine that would have been magnified in the SWPA.

don't forget dry rot and wood worm :lol:

and a few recon mossies were converted by the brits for the pacific, they had a range of 3,500miles, but they were to late to see service...................

Yes, but for every problem with wood there are almost as many problems with metal. Don't become mistaken into thinking that metal does not corrode, wear or become fatigued.

Yes metal does, but not as quickly as wood. And wood could warp in shape causing trouble for the Mossie (especially its control surfaces).

That's easily repaired as it is wood.

Not necessarily in the SWPA which was the far end of the supply line for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back