RG_Lunatic said:
GermansRGeniuses said:
No.
I honestly can't see that happening.
If it happened before, why are the Caribbean Islands and Florida, not to mention all those other states and Africa still there?
Sure, you could say those dents along Africa's seaboard were caused by a past tsunami, but I truly doubt that a wave could reform a continent in a single blow.
Like I said, NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.
Umm, don't you think the better question to ask is what explains the odd shape of that region? How else do you explain the presence of boulders weighing thousands of tons which are obviously from the ocean floor (this is easily determined) sitting atop various atolls of the Bahamas? You don't seriously think that such a wave would completely wash away major land masses do you?
Wake up m8. It is going to happen. Each time the volano(s) on La Palma errupt there is an increasing chance the west slope will give way. There is a major erruption every 150-200 years, but it's unpredictable. The last such erruption was back in about 1950 if I recall correctly. So another erruption could occur at any time, but probably won't happen till near the end of the century or maybe early into the next.
I'm not saying you should run for the hills, just pointing out that these kind of things are certainly possible. If you live on the E. Coast of the USA or Florida or the Bahamas, it would be prudent to get out of there if you hear that a Canary Island volcano has started to errupt. That's about the extent of it.
There are several such volcanic islands that are threatening to collapse, the one on La Palma just happens to be the one most likely to do so next. There are also similar structures under the ocean, which are generally not mapped, which could give way at any time, but unless it is truely huge these would generate smaller, though still catastrophic, tsunamis.
=S=
Lunatic
I know major eruptions are fairly common in the larger scheme of things (the 150-200 years, like you said), but why would this one be so different?
I have an idea that won't materialize due to the fact that no one would listen and that it's almost a sure improbability, even if someone did...
We should make a concrete wall all around the island and drain it (for the tunnellers, or else leave it full for submarines), similar to a building tower foundation or "anchor" for oil rig posts (the 60-something feet tall concrete thingos at the ocean floor, where the metal towers that lead to the platform connect; they're like feet, but I don't know the technical name)...
After this, we convert some submarines into automated drilling machines, (perhaps even taking out fuel tanks, leaving only engines, drilling bit and motor, and ballast compartments, among other simples - connect it with a fuel line, like an astronaut is connected to a shuttle through the oxygen tube - note that with a nuclear sub, this would not be required, but the chance of an explosion is too large for this type of work) or use those tunnel drillers to make a large hole in the side, causing the magma to jet out, being stopped partially or completely (depending on thickness of wall and power of volcano), creating a foundation that could be drained out and filled to make an artificial island to relocate the islanders.
Sure, there isn't the natural of the island, but then again, there wouldn't be after a natural eruption, now would there be?
Impossible?
Perhaps!
Is the volcano more likely to erupt than for this insanity to materialize, rendering me wrong as well as speechless?
Undoobitably!
Ahh, my insanity is back and I love it!
Sure, the hole being drilled might cause the island to implode, but the machines would be automatons, and the island (and African coast, at least for a mile; just temporarily move the cities inland in case the wall doesn't help) would be evacuated!
*EDIT*~And there would be as little workers as humanly possible, don't want ANY crowding...
I dare anyone to
try to dream anything so insane!
Man, I'm gonna be a great aircraft engineer/designer with ideas so impossibly crazy, so long as I have the means to make them a reality...