Best Halftrack/tractor of WW2 ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Since it took a Pz-IV chassis to house the FlakVierling, I doubt that the Pz-II/Vierling combo would've been prudent.
But, a single or twin Mg 151 (-20) does look better in my eyes there, esp. since those are belt-fed (= greater practical RoF) .

Best prime movewr of the war, in my opinion, was the US M4 High Speed Tractor. It was full tracked instead of half or 3/4 track, which means better mobility, and it had quite a bit more horsepower, 210, than its German counterpart the Sd Kfz 7 which had only 140.

Mittlere Sch
This strikes me as an inexpensive yet relatively effective weapons system vs both aerial and ground targets. Unlike some of the earlier and more common German flak vehicles the gun crew are well protected against small arms fire.
sdkfz251-21.jpg

I don't believe I would refer to any German halftrack as inexpensive. The tracks were tank tracks, all steel, expensive hard to get steel pins and bearings in between every link. The US halftrack was an inexpensive alternative to a tank, with the German vehicle you might as well build a full tracked light tank.

I don't believe I would refer to any German halftrack as inexpensive
Product prices
Many WWII vehicle prices are readily available on the internet. The Sd.Kfz251 wasn't terribly expensive.

103,163 marks. Panzer Mk III Auf M.
115,962 marks. Panzer Mk IV Auf G.
22,560 marks. $9,024 @2.5 marks per American dollar. Sd.Kfz.251 Halftrack.

Unfortunately I don't have a WWII American half track price for comparison.

I couldn't find anything either. Wonder why the Germans didn't power the front axle? It wouldn't have cost that much more. Seems like America was the only country in WW2 that powered the front axle on almost everything.

Take look at the track assembly: tracks associated parts of the suspension were taking almost all the load in German Htracks, relegating wheels into much more secondary role than it was at US half-tracks.

Take look at the track assembly: tracks associated parts of the suspension were taking almost all the load in German Htracks, relegating wheels into much more secondary role than it was at US half-tracks.

In that case, and you are correct they didn't carry as much weight, why didn't they just go with a full track vehicle such as a US M4 high speed tractor? At least in there prime mover version. Being stuck with a non-driven front end hampered mobility and steering.

M16A2 WWII Army Half-Track
COST TO US WAR DEPARTMENT IN 1943:
$10,310. USD (Excluding Weapons)

A bit more then the German Sd.Kfz251.

Very interesting, as the US halftrack was a much more simple design. A frame, square box on the back, and rubber bands for tracks. The German design being essentially a light tank with a steering axle out front. Makes me wonder if the exchange rate quoted is correct. Maybe the American machine was built with Union labor and the German by slave labor!

Very interesting, as the US halftrack was a much more simple design. A frame, square box on the back, and rubber bands for tracks. The German design being essentially a light tank with a steering axle out front. Makes me wonder if the exchange rate quoted is correct.

The exchange rate is official and thus "Correct" but actually doesn't reflect the true cost of items in the two countries because the exchange rate was artificially "fixed". A bit like now with the American and Chinese Currency's.

Throw in the fact that in both countries labor wages (forget slave labor for now) were either fixed or under government control and price comparisons get really difficult to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back