Best Liberty Port of Call (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ive been all over, except for the Pacific, and there are 2 Ports that stand out above all the others Ive been...

Lisbon, Portugal and Palma de Mallorca (island in The Med)

The surrounding areas of Lisbon were unreal... I recall surfing in clear blue 6 foot tubes whilst topless hotties strolled along the beach and fabulous food.... The people were awesome, the nightlife insane, the beers were delicious, the weather was tits, the locals spoke English.... I would move there before I considered anywhere else to live overseas...

Palma was drop dead beautiful... An Oasis in The Med... There was this one bar, right next to the Russian Whorehouse on the hill outside Port that was our main watering hole the 3 times I was there....

This Scottish bartender broad would throw darts with us for free shots, and the shots were from a bottle of Japanese booze that had a dead lizard inside it.... U swirled the bottle around and u could see little pieces of lizard floating around inside...

Good stuff!!!

If u lost the round of darts, the shot was a 5 dollar bill...

Lisbon, Portugal and Palma de Mallorca (island in The Med)

I have been to Mallorca many times and I will never go again! Too many Germans there! It is the 17th state of Germany now!

Of all the Islands in the region (to include parts going to parts of Africa) I would rather go to:

Crete (going there for the 2nd time in about 6 weeks).
Rhodos
Ibiza
Tenerife
Gran Canaria
Fuerteventura
La Palma

Flying MAC, we went all over but stay very little. As a general consensus, the aircrews wanted to go to

Australia, New Zealand. I think, for the girls.
Greece
Japan. In the 70's it was the place to shop, cameras, stereos, china, papasan chairs, hibachi pots, etc. All hoped that a air-evac was not picked up going home since the nurses had a habit of throwing out personal effects, which they could do.
anyplace in-country (Vietnam) or over-country. We got a months free taxes and combat pay

After that
England. One can almost read the signs
Germany
Spain. Saw parts of a Ju-52 and He-111 sitting on the side of the road at the base. It was still Franco times, the rumor was not to fool with the guys in the three pointed hats, they could kill you.
Thailand
Okinawa. Still remember that Kobe beef!

Then everywhere else except Turkey

Armpit of the world
Incerlik, Turkey. Nobody wanted to leave base.

Notes:

More good planes "broke" in Athens than anywhere else and more bad planes launched out of Turkey than anywhere else.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Lush, high alitude (9800 ft), dirt poor. They had cardboard box subdivisions. Everybody got the runs.

Keflavik, Iceland. A cold rock always at minimums. I am sure Iceland is nicer elsewhere.

Iran, during Shah times. Tense, crazy drivers, brutal police.

Azores. Isolated, seemed nice, great bread. Sangria was a popular purchase.

Then everywhere else except Turkey

Armpit of the world
Incerlik, Turkey. Nobody wanted to leave base.

I was there in 1990 an liked it. There is a great museums in Adana. Food was good although I got the runs. There was no toilet paper in the bathrooms and EVERY body smoked.

I took a bus from Adana to Ankara to Izmir. A friend of mine married a Turkish woman -- she is beautiful .

Amsterdam. Great beer. Same with the smoke. Great buzz. But the food was terrible. Salted fish was a delicacy and everything else tasted like cardboard.

No wonder there are no Dutch Resturaunts.

And the Red Light district. Now that was a fun area.

Everything tastes good after a bowl of hash...

.. so i've heard...

You would think, wouldn't you? I mean, you're stoned to the bejezus, sipping on a beer in a bar about a klick from the train station. There, across the street is a bakery and everything looks great. Go over, grab some baked goods and it all stunk! Carboard.

So Wife wanders off to another place for some fish type stuff and BLAH, another zero. After that, we gave up and just kept drinking the Hieniken. Now, that was very good.

To your point Adler, it could've been us. We'd just left two weeks in Italy and may've been biased by good food of the boot. But you gotta wonder why you never see:

Dutch Resturaunts
Norwegian Resturaunts
Polish " "
Irish " "
ect.
to say nothing of England.

I mean you just list off all the countries that DON'T have a food history. Holland has to be up there pretty high.

You would think, wouldn't you? I mean, you're stoned to the bejezus, sipping on a beer in a bar about a klick from the train station. There, across the street is a bakery and everything looks great. Go over, grab some baked goods and it all stunk! Carboard.

So Wife wanders off to another place for some fish type stuff and BLAH, another zero. After that, we gave up and just kept drinking the Hieniken. Now, that was very good.

To your point Adler, it could've been us. We'd just left two weeks in Italy and may've been biased by good food of the boot. But you gotta wonder why you never see:

Dutch Resturaunts
Norwegian Resturaunts
Polish " "
Irish " "
ect.
to say nothing of England.

I mean you just list off all the countries that DON'T have a food history. Holland has to be up there pretty high.

I don't know maybe you have just eating at the wrong places.

I have a great Irish place where I live. There you can get amazing:

Irish Stew
Seafood Chowder
Gaelic Steak (absolutely amazing steak in a whiskey sauce)
Shepards Pie

As for Polish food, I have eaten lots of great polish food. Over here you can find them regularly.

Nothing however beats the food from:

Greece
Croatia
Serbia
Macedonia
Bosnia
India

I don't know maybe you have just eating at the wrong places.

I have a great Irish place where I live. There you can get amazing:

Irish Stew
Seafood Chowder
Gaelic Steak (absolutely amazing steak in a whiskey sauce)
Shepards Pie

As for Polish food, I have eaten lots of great polish food. Over here you can find them regularly.

Nothing however beats the food from:

Greece
Croatia
Serbia
Macedonia
Bosnia
India

Possible. I've only done two days in Amsterdam. But if I went back it wouldn't be for the food.

The only Irish pubs around Philly that are worth going to are for the beer. Not that they don't serve food, some of which is ok (Kildare's, Welcome to Kildare's) but most people go to Irish places around here for the Guiness. Once a year, every Irish pub in the local area has Ham and Cabbage on St. Paddy's Day. Once a year, I can live with.

Greek around here is all gyro and pizza. India? Tons of curry. Others are Thai, Chinese, Japanese and the odd Mexican place (not real Mexican like you get in Cali or Texas, knockoff Mexican). There is a ton of Steak and Italian around here. Some are combined and are very good. Nothing like Pasta and Steak. Toss in a decent bottle of red and it's heaven.

Ok, I'll call thread drift on myself on this one. Gone from Liberty Ports to Food. If we wanna do food, we oughta start a thread on it.

Has it ever been done before?

Best liberty port I was even in was Dubrovnik, Yogo. [now Croatia]. Bought a Rolex watch for $125.00 [usd], had more
steak and beer than I could handle. The guys from the Russian destroyer, that followed us all over the Med, were "good
ole boys" and were actually likable, on the beach. My second choice would be Brindisi, Italy.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back