Best Liberty Port of Call

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Greek around here is all gyro and pizza. India?

Wow you have no clue what you are missing out on!!! There is so much more to Greek food than gyros! :lol:

timshatz said:
Tons of curry.

Same with indian! Curry does not even begin to cover it. Tandoori or Masala and hundreds of different kinds of spices! Man you need to try some real Indian food and not just chicken curry! :lol:

timshatz said:
Ok, I'll call thread drift on myself on this one. Gone from Liberty Ports to Food. If we wanna do food, we oughta start a thread on it.

Thats true, but this thread was dead for awhile, so I guess that is okay. :lol:

timshatz said:
Has it ever been done before?

Not sure...

Never even heard of Balkan Resturaunts. What do they serve? What's the main dish?

All sorts of stuff. My personal favorites:

These are from: Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia,Greece, Romania and Turkey etc..

Ćevapčići
?evap?i?i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baklava
Baklava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kofta
Kofta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moussaka
Moussaka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lahmacun
Lahmacun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dürüm
Dürüm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Döner kebab
Döner kebab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dolma
Dolma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saganaki
Saganaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tzatziki
Tzatziki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tiropita
Tiropita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Souvlaki
Souvlaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mititei
Mititei - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Only a couple of those have I tried. The baklava and one of the wraps. But all of them look awesome. Especially when I'm sitting in my office at 9am having a breakfast of an orange. That stuff looks really good. Especially the pork and other meats. Enough for me to put it on my list of places to go. Just across the Adriatic from Italy so it's short trip.

All this stuff in Croatia or Bosnia? Seems the closest countries to Italy (my reference point).

One thing I thought was pretty cool about the food in Europe (and was pleasantly suprised by) was the eats in Bavaria and Norther Switzerland. There is a dish they make in Zuirch that is Fried Potatoes (like home fries) with a brown gravy that consists of veal and mushrooms over it. The spuds and veal mix are meshed together and warmed over an open flame. I can't remember the name but it was great. Had it at a place under the tower of the big clock (in Zurich, everyone seems to know it). Pricey but worth it. Family place.

But I was very impressed by Bavarian food. Only had it around Oktoberfest but the Chicken, Ribs and pretty much everythig was excellent. Great food. Way under-rated.

Only a couple of those have I tried. The baklava and one of the wraps. But all of them look awesome. Especially when I'm sitting in my office at 9am having a breakfast of an orange. That stuff looks really good. Especially the pork and other meats. Enough for me to put it on my list of places to go. Just across the Adriatic from Italy so it's short trip.

All this stuff in Croatia or Bosnia? Seems the closest countries to Italy (my reference point).

One thing I thought was pretty cool about the food in Europe (and was pleasantly suprised by) was the eats in Bavaria and Norther Switzerland. There is a dish they make in Zuirch that is Fried Potatoes (like home fries) with a brown gravy that consists of veal and mushrooms over it. The spuds and veal mix are meshed together and warmed over an open flame. I can't remember the name but it was great. Had it at a place under the tower of the big clock (in Zurich, everyone seems to know it). Pricey but worth it. Family place.

But I was very impressed by Bavarian food. Only had it around Oktoberfest but the Chicken, Ribs and pretty much everythig was excellent. Great food. Way under-rated.

The stuff I described above is from the whole Balkan region. You will find variations of it in Greece, All the former Yugoslavia Countries, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, e.t.c

Man there is a lot of great national foods over here:

German
Italian
Greek
Balkan
Polish
Russian

All with lots of flavor and spices.

We really have taken this off topic haven't we? :lol:

We really have taken this off topic haven't we? :lol:
This sucker is gone!

Have to give it a whirl. Gives me a reason to head over to Croatia. Have heard everybody who goes there loves it. Balkans in general are supposed to be great for food and the coast as well. Seen a couple of shows on HD covering it and they were pretty impressive.

One more place I need to see before I check out and eating is a pretty good reason to go!

Sasebo Japan. In 69/70 cruise on the Ranger we spent three weeks thier for repairs. Hong Kong was great.Olongapo city was,well it just was.

Scotland was nice. People were friendly and the food was good. Unfortunately it was cloudy about 364 days of the year.

Mombassa, Kenya was nice but you had to leave the main city and stay at one of the resort areas. Great beaches and everything was inexpensive.

Monaco / SE France was nice and not nearly as expensive as I had expected. A steak just seems to taste better at an outdoor cafe overlooking a beach in southern France.

Sri Lanka. Most of the crew (myself included) got horribly sick. I'd rather go to Antarctica then return to that place.

When I was on the Yorktown, CVS10, I traded liberty for Duty when we pulled into the PI. I spent 3 weeks waiting for Yorktown in Olongopo, That did me just fine! Found out what a "benny boy" was, didn't need to see any more of the PI. Spent all my time at the Sky Club, the pool and the beach club if I needed some R&R!

Loved Hong Kong. The Tiger Balm Garden. Kowloon. Had the best food in a little restaurant in Kowloon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back