Best Looking FW-190??

which was the better looking

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with E~ on this, the A series had some very wild paint jobs..take a look at Hermann Graf's wild looking A-5/U7 W.Nr 2594. paint makes it hard to sneak up on someone but sure is colorful....I have never seen a Dora or TA painted like this..
Kevin

Besides the blue-black cowlings of IV.Sturm/JG 3 from may till July 44's end I./JG 1 was probably the most prolific. white cowlings and spinner, black and white stripes on the cowling, black/white checks, black/yellow checks, black/red checks.

CC yes you are correct, and they are the most colourful of all the Doras painted, the standard was a Dora with the under engine cowling ID marking of yellow and a possiblity of a yellow rudder showing up for a staffelkapitan in JG 26. II./JG 301 Doras of course had the colourful fuselage band of yellow/red but that isa bout as much colour as you are going to find amongst the greys/violets and associated shades of late war greens.........

Heres a shot of that sexy Dora CC is talking about....

Attachments

• 190d01_183.jpg
    190d01_183.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 408
  • fw-190d_red13_pallate_831.jpg
    fw-190d_red13_pallate_831.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 399
Since I am feeling like a two foot tall dwarf right now, did I mention that Jerry Crandall has rdone his Doras of the Galland Circus book ?, and that it will be part of his mammoth single volume on the Dora with many first person accts......... $ 85.00 is a bit steep but seems to be the going rate for their books right now, but worth it

Les no not really although he is taking some first person accts from JG 54 and Jg 26 vets possibly from that book to supplant the ones from JG 301, JV 44, JG 6, etc........the book is going to be a monster with many profiles and unknown pics

sad but I already own the JV 44 booklet and of course the big JG 54/JG 26 book he did several years ago and with the 7 or so signatures, got to know one of the pilots that signed the book, sadly he passed on. I paid a whomping 175.00 for the Dora-Grün Herz but it was worth it to me as I had the one pilot do some signing of pages and photos when I picked the book up from Jerry/Judy and the German vet in California when it was first published.

the "new" book will also have some very unique fotos and signed by 9 ? personalities, one is the former Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 301 Cescotti who was a bomber recon pilot originally

E

gents obviously the Dora 9 nose isn;t as massive as the Anton and therefore could not take the punishement like the A version, though the Doras were really not ordered to attack US bomber formations as they mixed it up too often with RAF and RCAF Spits and US Mustangs.

a member of II./JG 301 stands by his mount in 1945

Attachments

• rix_117.jpg
    rix_117.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 365

Users who are viewing this thread

Back