Best Maritime Patrol Aircraft of WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Catalina was definatley one of the greats used during the war especially being an amphibian. Others in my book are the PB4Y-1 and PB4Y-2 Privateer.

A couple that hardly ever receive any recognition are the B-18's, B-10's and blimps that patrolled coastal waters off the U.S.

DaveB.inVa said:
The Catalina was definatley one of the greats used during the war especially being an amphibian. Others in my book are the PB4Y-1 and PB4Y-2 Privateer.

A couple that hardly ever receive any recognition are the B-18's, B-10's and blimps that patrolled coastal waters off the U.S.

The B-18 was one of the first aircraft to have a MAD boom installed on thie tail. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• b18b-1_655.jpg
    b18b-1_655.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 231
I would definately have to go with the Catalina, with the Liberator running a close second. The Catalina was in it's element doing the jobs it did, I dred to think how many people would have been drowned/eaten by sharks/ lost at sea if it wasn't for the Cat. Not to mention the amount of shipping it sunk.

It giveth, and than taketh away!

The PBY Catalina and Short Sunderland are my best maritime patrol flying boats of WW2. The Fw 200, PB4Y-2 Privateer, and Lockheed Hudson/Ventura lineage are my favorite land-based maritime patrol planes.

Catalina for choice number1. Second would be Fw200, overlooking the fuselage structural issue.
Jager
Living On Tulsa Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back