Best naval fighter II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was replaced by Phantoms and Tornados wasn't it?

It was phased out by the F.1 Tornado. The EE Lightning was the only interceptor in the world capable of reaching the heights of the Russian 'Bears' and 'Bisons', and in fact the EE Lightning had a 15,000 ft advantage over those bombers.
The Phantom, brilliant plane, was put into service alongside the Lightning in the 70s but was still inferior to the Lightning for interception duties, but at least very capable of the job.

The Tornado on the other hand is both inferior to the Lightning and Phantom in everything except payload and range.

But the Phantom had multi-role versatility that nothing else in the world could match. It was the last combat aircraft to be used by the USN, USAF, and USMC (plus just about half of NATO).

during the 70's they could get two lightnings anywhere in the country in 10 minuites..............

I know LG that's why I said it was a brilliant plane, because it was. It still couldn't match the Lightning in interception duties. Where have you heard that Lanc?
The truth is every base with Lightnings had two on stand by at all times, and every one with Phantoms (When they came in) had two Phantoms. The two were always ready to go, straight away. The Pilot would jump in and within 3 minutes they'd be at 40,000 ft and heading towards the enemy, that's the Lightnings, not the Phantoms, they couldn't do it.
On top of that, as soon as the alarm went out the rest of the squadron would be getting prepared.

They could get there quicker than that, they had these quick response flights up and down the East coast of Britain. The F.6 Lightning could get up to 40,000ft and Mach 0.9 in 2 minutes 30 seconds.

Well, better in what sense? The MiG-25 had better performance but poorer electronics. The F-14 has rough comparable performance to the EE Lightning but considerably better avionics and weapons.

The F-14 cannot climb as fast, nor does it have the ceiling of the EE Lightning. They do have better equipment, and better armament though.
The F-15 Eagle was the aircraft to break the EE Lightnings climb rate. As the F-15 has more thrust than weight, so it doesn't slow down on a climb.

The MiG-23 was not a better performer than the EE Lightning, slower speed, slower climb rate, and lower altitude.

the lightning had a power/weight ratio as well, it weighed 29,000lb with a thrust of 30,000lb.....................

The MiG-25 'Foxbat' is faster, and has a higher ceiling. It does not have the climb rate to match the F.6 Lightning, and it was designed 12 years after the Lightning. Remember the Lightning was designed in 1947, and it was only beaten in climb rate by the F-15 Eagle designed in 1976.

The lower ceiling and climb rate of the F-14 are more than made up for by the Phoenix missles it carries. And I know that the MiG-25 came along later, I was just noting that (in some ways) in was superior to the Lightning.

Lanc, you are thinking of an empty Lightning (Without Fuel and Armament). The thrust of a Lightning is two 'Avon' engines giving 15,608lbs each, the weight of the Lightning when empty is 28,000 lbs, when loaded it is 50,000lbs.
The MiG-25 was also inferior at handling at sub-sonic speeds, therefore not too good of a bomber interceptor as most travel sub-sonic. The MiG-25 also had two crew.

The F-14 also came a lot later than the Lightning.

MiG-25 had a crew of one (excepting training and possibly recon versions). It's derivative, the MiG-31 'Foxhound' has a crew of two, less performace, but considerably improved avionics.

Again designed a lot later than the Lightning. The Lightning is out-classed now, but it was the superior interceptor all the way up to the 70s when the F-16, F-14 and F-15 were designed. And it was designed in 1947, it was always funny, the Americans calling it the 'all aluminum pursuit ship'.

Again designed a lot later than the Lightning. The Lightning is out-classed now, but it was the superior interceptor all the way up to the 70s when the F-16, F-14 and F-15 were designed. And it was designed in 1947, it was always funny, the Americans calling it the 'all aluminum pursuit ship'.

Lanc, I don't know if you've ever seen a Lightning take off but they can go vertical straight from getting off the runway. They used to do it at air shows, and they would slow down at about 20,000 ft. They were told to stop it though because of stress on the air frame.

I'm not saying these planes should be directly comparable to the Lightning. I was responding to the post wondering if there were any interceptors since better than the Lightning. I was just listing a few contenders.

Lanc, I don't know if you've ever seen a Lightning take off but they can go vertical straight from getting off the runway

not fopr real but i've seen it on video...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back