Best naval fighter II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've not seen a Lightning do that, but I have seen F-15s do it and that is a most impressive sight.

I've also witnessed a F-15 do it, the more impressive thing about the F-15 is that it will still be gaining speed when it does it. The Lightning looks odd, it looks as if it shouldn't be able to do it, so bulky and heavy, it does however and for a design from 1947 it certainly is impressive. The Lightning does start to slow down at around 20,000ft and turns to a shallow climb.

I can't believe I forgot this, I've also witnessed a Vulcan do it. You may not believe this, but it's the truth, I've seen a Vulcan pull up vertically off the runway just like a F-15 or Lightning, it got to 1000 ft and banked on its wing tip turned, and flew off. I was amazed, as were the rest of the crowd.

I know, no one expected it. A large delta winged bomber pulling straight up off the runway, it is a sight to see. It only reached 1000 ft though, but it is still very impressive.

Yeah, there is no way it could hold that very long, but like you I'm amazed that it was even able to do it.

You'd be even more amazed if you saw it. It looks an impossible feat for something so big, it does it with difficulty but it does it.

well it can take off on two engines and fly on one so i'd imagine it's got a bit of extra thrust lying round, but still that's pretty amazing............

Flying is one thing. Climbing is another. And climbing straight up is considerably harder than either.

It sure is amazing, and just think something that big and heavy can do it but the Tornado can't. It has to put it's afterburners on to take off for Gods sake.

I saw the 707-80 do a barrel roll on TV yesterday. 707-80 was the prototype for the commercial Boeing 707 airliner. VERY BIG. VERY CRAZY.
It was almost as crazy as this test on the 707-80 (another one) involving "non-igniting" gas that was supposed to make crash-landings safe. Needless to say, the reason the video was crazy is because the gas didn't work. BIG FIREBALL!!! Oh yeah, the barrell roll was through the maniacal thinking of the pilot, not a test. This was done on the first flight of the prototype over a lake at about 500 feet.

That 'non-igniting' fuel does work. The test was with a remote controlled 707 and the pilot screwed it up, he hit the engine on one of the posts so it ripped the engine apart and sparked it as it was changing from 'non-igniting' to normal flammable fuel. That's why there was a big fire ball.

Not really that dramatic in a 707. Those things are good planes, and for their size very manuverable. Still idiotic, but he obviously trusted its ability.

4-engined commercial jets. The 707 was the basis of the E-3 Sentry, I believe they use 767s now.

The 707 is four engined, the 767 is two engined. The E-3 Sentry used to use the 707 as the platform, but they now use the 767 as the platform.

It's not correct to call it an E-3 Sentry. The E-3 is the AWAC based on the 707 design, I don't know the name of the 767 AWAC but I have read reports of Boeing using the 767 body instead, I have only seen one picture though and it's a Japanese plane.
From 4 to 2 yes, but more powerful engines. The 707 is an old plane now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back