Best naval fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i really cant comment as i know jack about it!

wasnt the N1K2-J one of the only fighters the japs didnt use for kamikaze? i believe the japs called it the "Devil Queller" or purple lightning but not sure..... Wasnt the sea fury basically a Tempest MkII for carriers? they sure do look the same....

Reichsmarschall Batista

The de Havilland Vampire was the second of the RAF's first-generation post-Second World War jet fighters to enter service. It began life as an interceptor but was soon re-tasked in the day fighter/ground attack roles with the 2nd Tatical Air Force in Germany from 1948 to 1954, and with the RAF's Middle and Far East Air Forces.
Throughout its 46-year career it collected many notable firsts: it was the first jet fighter to cross the Atlantic, the first jet to land on an aircraft carrier, and the first jet trainer on which student pilots actually qualified for their 'wings'.

In addition to playing a full part in the RAF's battle order during the 1940's and '50s, the Vampire also served with the Fleet Air Arm and quickly became an export success story for the British Aircraft industry, with hundreds of aircraft sold to dozens of foreign air forces world-wide. For a short spell during the early 1950s the Vampire formed the backbone of thr RAF's nightfighter force and, imporantly, between 1952 and 1967 the Vampire trainer wsa responsible for a steady flow of trained pilots for the RAF, Royal Navy and for foreign air forces.

First flown on 20th September 1943 the Vampire was the UK's third jet aircraft to fly and although it was too late to see action during World War II, the type remained in service for over 30 years.

The first examples arrived in New Zealand during 1951-52 and became the first operational jet aircraft in Royal New Zealand Air Force service when they were taken on charge by No's 14 and 75 Squadron at Ohakea.

Utilised in the day fighter/ground attack role a total of 58 flew with the RNZAF until replacement by the Strikemaster in 1972. Disposed of to private collectors and relegated to scrap, few now remain in New Zealand and none are airworthy

I hate to say it mate, but after some research, i think that you were wrong...the Vampire didnt fly until 1943. Hope the above helps

Yep - 1943 is right - i knew it was somewhere around then - cheers JJ1982

Only 2 years off...not bad - its still alot earlier than most people think!

:grab:

I'm so glad that occaisionally i do make sensibly relevant comments....amazing what stuf you find on google!

GermansRGeniuses said:
havent seen you in a LONG time mate!

Reichsmarschall Batista

I've been having a lot of real life problems lately; losing this site was one of them. I only rediscovered this group when a moderator e-mailed me with some news. It's good to be back, I must say. :)

N1K2-J was called 'Shiden-Kai' by the Japanese, 'Shiden' meaning 'Violet Lightning', and 'Kai' meaning 'higher' or 'improved', sice it was an improved version of the Shiden mid-wing fighter.

The Sea Fury was an improved Tempest Mk II (If you look closely, the Sea Fury has a sloped nose ahead of the cockpit for improved pilot view on landing, and a larger tailfin than the tempest Mk II, which had a straight nose, and so loked slightly sleeker [slightly] - and it also had a five-blade prop for the beast of a Centaurus engine they strapped on the front). And yes I know it was too late - but only by four or five months I thought...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back