Best Naval Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well recon mossies and P-38s could hit over 3,000 miles (well i know the mossie could, not sure bout the P-38, CC??)............

as such there are twin engined planes than could beat it's range, the defence rests...................

lesofprimus said:
Does anyone have stats on which aircraft shot down more enemy planes, the Hellcat or the Corsair???

The Hellcat had over 5,000 and the Corsair had a littlke over 2.000. The hellcat was carrier qualified over a year before the Corsair so the Marines got it first and used it primarily for ground attack which it did very well.

i think that the hellcats and F4Us are excellent fighters but i also thinks that the Nakajima Ki-84 Kayate "Frank" is a better fighter because it's more stable, has faster climb rate than the cors and hells, the ki-84 is slower than the cors(faster than the hells), but all three aircraft manuver almost the same, but when engaged in a dogfight, the ki-84's 2X20MMs and two 12.7 MM guns could outgun the hells and cors's 6 to 8 50cals. anyway i think that the reason why the ki-84 is not as famous because the japanese pliots are not veterans(most were killed be4 the ki-84 came out) at all compare to the U.S fighter pliots(some of them had been veterans fighting in europe be4 coming to the pacific), so that's my opinion...

Adolf Galland said:
i think that the hellcats and F4Us are excellent fighters but i also thinks that the Nakajima Ki-84 Kayate "Frank" is a better fighter because it's more stable, has faster climb rate than the cors and hells, the ki-84 is slower than the cors(faster than the hells), but all three aircraft manuver almost the same, but when engaged in a dogfight, the ki-84's 2X20MMs and two 12.7 MM guns could outgun the hells and cors's 6 to 8 50cals. anyway i think that the reason why the ki-84 is not as famous because the japanese pliots are not veterans(most were killed be4 the ki-84 came out) at all compare to the U.S fighter pliots(some of them had been veterans fighting in europe be4 coming to the pacific), so that's my opinion...

Good points. By the last year of WWII all sides had truly excelent aircraft and the pilots/numbers made the difference. Example, the Hellcat was only a medium performer it's strenghts was that it was an honest and tough plane but with tactics and numbers it rolled over it's foes like a steam roller.

By the last year of WWII all sides had truly excelent aircraft and the pilots/numbers made the difference.

I couldnt agree more. The Ta-152 backs up this statement perfectly, as it was probably the best fighter of the war, but it was too late in the war and only saw limited service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back