Best overall Spitfire armament?

Best overall Spitfire armament?

• four .303 Brownings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please explain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
The Spitfire was manufactured throughout the entire war, and with various gun combinations as the war went on. I will post the gun arrangements I am familiar with and you can vote for the best.

Here's where it gets interesting. "Best" doesn't have to mean "the biggest thump," it can also mean "best all-around." You have to remember that the Spitfire was a light-weight dog-fighting aircraft, and equipment weight was at a premium, as was drag. The heavier the guns were, the less maneuverable it could be. Also, cannons were not always the best for every job, as they were harder to aim in a dogfight, and fired more slowly, meaning they were less likely to hit a gyrating target.

Now, I just know somebody's going to remember some obscure Spitfire armament I've forgotten about or never heard of. That's life. If you choose "other", please tell us on the thread what that "other" was, and verify that the Spit actually used such armament in squadron service.

Also most of the earlier spitfires were not stable in firing 4x 20mm Hispanos. (the recoil twisted the wings and upset aim and sighting) Late models had a wing redesign that was better suited iirc and were more stable in firing. (the Mk.21 onward had 4x 20's as the standard armament)

I think the best all around armament was the 2x Hispanos and 2x .50's.

A good poll, I think! There have been votes for all but the photo-recon armament, and I don't really expect any votes for it! Also the 4 .303's I believe were used by the very first Spit Mk I's.

By the way, this was a matter of great debate during the war. Douglas Bader, for instance, stood up for the .303, and is probably a big part of why they made the 2 and 4 wing rather than going to 4 20's as on Hurricane IIC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back