Best Tank Destroyer/ self-propelled gun

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

schwarzpanzer

Senior Airman
Aug 8, 2005
What nationality does your chosen favourite belong to?

What is it and why do you like it?

For me, it's a toss-up between the SU-100 and JagdPanther, there's a knat's willy between them.

I cannot state the greatest country for tank destroyers but the list of the greatest, in my opinion, are; Jagdpanther, M36 'Hellcat', Achilles OQF 17pdr, Archer OQF 17pdr, M36 'Jackson', SU-100, ISU-152, Elefant and StuK40 Ausf F/8.

Plan D thats a list, pick one.
For myself I go for the Achilles. It had speed, and a gun that could knock anything out, but lacked armour.
If you want armour then probably the best is the Jagdpanther but it lacked flexibility and was only good when defending at a distance. Once it had to move it and any other AT vehicle of that configeration was at a disadvantage. Possible exception being the Hetzer as it was so small.
The M18 Hellcat was very quick but only had the 76mm which would have been limiting in combat and the M36 had the power but a slow rate of fire.
Hence the Achilles as my choice. All comers feel free to disagree, all comments welcome.

Hetzer although a small cramped unit was quite succesful in spring of 45 with accomplished crews whom even knocked out Soviet JS I's with it's 7.5cm gun. If anything going for it in the defence role, it could move fast and was small enough to camouflage easily in the surroundings the crews were accustomed to

If you have seen the amount of SPGs that served in WWII you would understand my list was picking the best of the bunch. There's no way of stating any of those I listed as being far superior to the other.

I did miss the Hetzer from my list, it was small but remarkable. A great asset to the Wehrmacht. Perfectly capable of knocking out most Western Allied and Soviet types.

I am aware of the variety of SPG's and mobile A/T guns in use, but I thought the idea was to pick the one you think is best and supply your thoughts.
We do the same on aircraft so why not these?

Because there's really no way I could decide on the best tank destroyer and self-propelled gun. A SPG is an artillery piece. Most of them were howitzers on armoured chassis, which then really is based on how good the cannon is.

The one I think was the greatest, really, was the M18 'Hellcat' because it suffered less loss than any other tank destroyer in the war. It was a capable machine, well within the ability to destroy other tanks because it could out-manuvre them.

I'd go with the Jagdpanther. Like with aircraft when they look right they usually fly right, the Jagdpanther looks deadly. Its' got good frontal armor highly sloped. The long 88mm could take out any Allied AFV. It also had the mobility of the Panther, its a good thing they only built about 400 of them!

You've made my mind up Dac, the SU100 it is; due to ease of build, better armour and the fact that it was probably the only thing that destroyed a King Tigers frontal armour. 8)

But it wasn't. Nothing ever did. Not one single piece of armour or artillery penertrated the King Tigers frontal armour during the war.

schwarzpanzer said:
You've made my mind up Dac, the SU100 it is; due to ease of build, better armour and the fact that it was probably the only thing that destroyed a King Tigers frontal armour. 8)

Glad to help. :)

The SU100 is very good too. I think there are some upgraded models still in service in the middle-east.

Yes Dac, I can believe it!

It did come late though, :confused: but still caused havoc, :mad: I'm sticking with it! :D

I think the JagdPanthers gearbox was far better than the standard one, but I can't remember examples of any (post AusfD) causing problems?

But it wasn't. Nothing ever did. Not one single piece of armour or artillery penertrated the King Tigers frontal armour during the war.

Yes it did and I'll get the piccy when I find it.

BTW: That 17pdr went through the side. :cry:

No you won't find the picture because there isn't one. The only pictures of a King Tiger's frontal armour being penertrated are from post-war tests. The King Tiger in question had been through battle, had many tests conducted on it then was blasted time and time again by an A-19 122mm cannon that eventually smashed it's way through a remarkably weakend Tiger II.

And P-38, at least choose the M-36 it was far superior to the M-10.

reddragon said:
The British Firefly also looks like an interesting weapon.

I love the Firefly, but is it a tank or SPG? IMHO it is a tank.

PlanD said:
StuK40 Ausf F/8

You mean StugIII?

The one I think was the greatest, really, was the M18 'Hellcat' because it suffered less loss than any other tank destroyer in the war. It was a capable machine, well within the ability to destroy other tanks because it could out-manuvre them.

A good point there PlanD, your Comet was good there too.

I see how you think now, but I usually prefer heavier stuff.

Except for the Stuart, of course! 8)

The only pictures of a King Tiger's frontal armour being penertrated are from post-war tests. The King Tiger in question had been through battle, had many tests conducted on it then was blasted time and time again by an A-19 122mm cannon that eventually smashed it's way through a remarkably weakend Tiger II.

The Kubinka K Tiger was destroyed in WW2, if that's what you're meaning?

The pic I'm meaning was destroyed in combat.

And P-38, at least choose the M-36 it was far superior to the M-10.

I'd go with the Achilles there.

The Elefants not a bad choice P38, but had very bad mobility.

Maybe the GMC M12 155mm wasn't so bad?

Hi,

I really enjoy the Jagdpanther. That 88m gun was something very impressive!

Douglas.

Attachments

• jagdpanther-6_195.jpg
    jagdpanther-6_195.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 805
No, I mean the StuK40 F/8 - it was no longer an assault gun. It had a SturmKanone (StuK). Look it up.

If the Kubinka King Tiger was destroyed in World War II, why is it still in one piece. Until you find this picture of a destroyed King Tiger with frontal penertration, frankly I'm not going to believe you. I've seen pictures of a King Tiger's front plate being penertrated, it was used as a target as I described.

P-38 is a patriotic American - he'd go with the U.S M36 rather than the British improvement of it.

I think the Germans designed some magnificant heavy tanks as well as tank-destroyers. The US ones were a bit too light on in terms of armour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back