Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry for ur loss... I was in Iraq during the first War, and have my best friends over there right now...... Its very very hard to compensate for a loss such as yours, but always remember, he gave his life so that u and I and CC and Skim and Adler and Lanc and evan and erich and planD and GrG and Pips and Hotspace, and all of us here, we can live ours...
he said that he really hated the russian weapons and aircraft. my opinion is that the
yak aircraft were the suckiest ww2 aircraft.
Hmmm... Not sure why he would have hated them, as alot of them were equal if not better than the other Allied Nations... The earlier Yak aircraft were a joke, but the later on Yaks were good aircraft... Yakolev was in Stalins back pocket, so he got what he wanted... Too bad Lavochkin didnt get that kind of treatment....

lesofprimus said:
Sorry for ur loss... I was in Iraq during the first War, and have my best friends over there right now...... Its very very hard to compensate for a loss such as yours, but always remember, he gave his life so that u and I and CC and Skim and Adler and Lanc and evan and erich and planD and GrG and Pips and Hotspace, and all of us here, we can live ours...
Very well said Les!

dinos7 said:
well my brother was in the 3rd id 2nd brgd combat team.

I was (and still am) with 1st ID 4th Brgd Combat Team. Again my condolences to you and your family.

KW-1 blasted by 30 mm fire from Henschel HS-129.

img0374sy.jpg

img0386ax.jpg

img0407sz.jpg

not really ! tungsten cored rounds banging and exploding shrapnel all inside...........

your dead and your dead anyway you look at it

obviously i have no cambat experience, but i, as i stand now, would proberly feel safer in a tank than on foot, especailly in a modern day situation where tanks are so much harder to destroy...........

Not really. Tanks are a big target and the first thing the enemy tries to take out. In the present conditions such as Iraq even the M-1 Abrams is a pretty easy target to get. New RPG's are able to punch through its armor and even some of the road side bombs are getting through them.

Being said if you are on foot you are able to move around and hide more, the tank is just large of a target and everyone wants to get you.

The tank has a presence that strikes fear into ill-trained combatants. The modern RPGs penertration values claim they can punch through the M1 Abrams, but it's just not true. The Abrams has to be hit several times before being destroy, I've seen many clips of Abrams pulling back on fire after being struck by three, four or five RPGs. The fact that they're pulling back means they're not knocked out and at least some of the crew are still alive.

The tank works in conjunction with the infantry, in the city situations like in Iraq the infantry should be clearing those backyards for the tanks to roll through. The tanks should only be called upon to destroy enemy strongholds from afar, like that M2 Bradley did in that video of Marines in Fallujah that les showed.

plan_D said:
The tank has a presence that strikes fear into ill-trained combatants. The modern RPGs penertration values claim they can punch through the M1 Abrams, but it's just not true.

While I was there it happened twice that an M-1 was taken out by an RPG.
2 M-1's!

Here is a report on the Abrams armour.

Details of the M1 losses were given, including one where 25mm armour-piercing depleted uranium (AP-DU) rounds from an unidentified weapon disabled a US tank near Najaf after penetrating the engine compartment. Another Abrams was disabled near Karbala after a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) penetrated the rear engine compartment and one was lost in Baghdad after its external auxiliary power unit was set on fire by medium-calibre fire.

Left and right side non-ballistic skirts were repeatedly penetrated by anti-armour RPG fire, according to the report, but only cosmetic damage was caused when they were struck by anti-personnel RPG rounds. There were no reported hits on ballistic skirts and no reported instance of US tanks hitting an anti-tank mine. Turret ammunition blast doors worked as designed. In one documented instance where a turret-ready ammunition rack compartment was hit and main gun rounds ignited, the blast doors contained the explosion and crew survived unharmed except for fume inhalation.
http://www.janes.com/defence/land_forces/news/jdw/jdw030620_1_n.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back