Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fw-190 is deadly aircraft
Panzerblitz is more deadly
Panzerblitz 190's lead to many destroyed tanks they do......

Use the force young butcher, use the force.

I thought a little Yoda would help lighten up the subject.

the word Butcher is quite appropriate.

I did mention that the last month and 1/2 of the war that Me 262's of JG 7 were assigned out of Prague to attack Soviet vehicle/armor witha vengence by using the R4M with the Panzerschreck head. the carnage the jets inflicted will never truly be known as ground kills have never been shown for the I. and III. gruppes. I will say through pilot interviews it was just plain awful. One rocket hit striking a single motor transport tore it completely apart............

don't even think about it Les..............

hey here is a neat profile, one of an aerial ace as well as a tank killer. From JG 7, Hermann Buchner's ride.......

ya know the more I think on this the Me 262A-1b may have been the best tank killer had there been time to fill the SG's with the required flying time and full support of enough jets for the gruppen. Think about the devastation of an armored column by just one staaffel of 18 jets coming in low and firing AT rockets

Attachments

• buchner_572.gif
    buchner_572.gif
    56.2 KB · Views: 911
target practice on an abandoned Panther. I have seen the pic some 10 years ago. note how close the rounds are to each other on the turret.

by the way it is an Ausf D not an A

Erich said:
don't even think about it Les..............

hey here is a neat profile, one of an aerial ace as well as a tank killer. From JG 7, Hermann Buchner's ride.......

ya know the more I think on this the Me 262A-1b may have been the best tank killer had there been time to fill the SG's with the required flying time and full support of enough jets for the gruppen. Think about the devastation of an armored column by just one staaffel of 18 jets coming in low and firing AT rockets

I might agree with you. Plus besides the rockets just the 4 cannons would be pretty menacing too.

I can certainly see the potential in a Me-262A-1b but there's not enough coverage of their actions to bring them up to the top tank killers. I think a truthful coverage of their service would see them in the top light of tank killing.

I certainly would like to know more about their tank killing.

yes besides the R4M's the 3cm's had AP and HE copmbinations.

At least 10 Il-2's were brought down the last two weeks of the war and many parked a/c were destroyed on forward fields

Faced with overwhelming Allied strength and extreme logistical problems, particularly fuel shortages, Me-262 operations during those months were intermittent. An elite unit, "JV-44", was formed up under Adolf Galland, and racked up a number of kills before hostilities ended. Many of these kills were achieve with the new "R4M" 55 millimeter (2.2 inch) folding fin rockets. An Me-262 could carry a total of 24 such weapons on wooden racks, one under each wing, and if fired into a bomber formation the rockets could have a devastating effect on anything they hit. Schwalbes configured to carry the R4M were given the designation "Me-262A-1b".

A ground-attack version of the R4M rocket was also designed and might have helped turn the Me-262 into an effective "Jabo" aircraft, much like the RAF's rocket-firing Typhoons or "Rockoons", but it does not appear the Luftwaffe ever used the Me-262 in this way. http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avme262.html

Im still looking to confirm this......

Les the accts are in the JG 7 book by Manfred Boehme concerning JG 7's use of the altered R4M for Soviet armor kills. there is also photos of the unit sitting side by side with the regular R4M in the Clasic pubs big boy books on the Me 262 ~ multi volumes

Les the accts are in the JG 7 book by Manfred Boehme concerning JG 7's use of the altered R4M for Soviet armor kills.
Dude thanks for that info. Now u give me somewhere to start my researching....... THX...

And whats the name of that book???

THE WORLDS FIRST JET FIGHTER UNIT 1944/1945 BY MANFRED BOEHME. 2 COPIES ARE AVAILABLE BOTH COPIES ARE FIRST AMERICAN EDITIONS 1992. ONE COPY IS A LIMITED EDITION #229/300 WITH SPECIAL SIGNED BOOKPLATE. SIGNED BY 2 GERMAN ACES HANS GRUENBERG (82 VIC'S) WALTER BOHATSCH (13 VIC'S), ALSO SIGNED BY GERMAN ACE WALTER SCHUCK ON HIS PIC. AND BY 2 AMERICAN ACES URBAN L. DREW ON A PIC. AND ON A LAID IN BP BY EDWARD R. HAYDEN WHO WAS GIVEN 1/2 CREDIT FOR THE SHOOTDOWN OF WALTER NOWOTNEY. THIS COPY $100.00.

THE SECOND COPY IS SIGNED ON A SPECIAL PICTURE BOOKPLATE BY JOHANNES STEINHOFF AND BY WALTER SCHUCK ON HIS PICTURE IN BOOK. PLUS TWICE BY ACE URBAN L. DREW AND ON LAID IN BP BY EDWARD R. HAYDEN. THIS COPY IS $110.00

What about the me262 version with the 50mm gun slung underneath it?

Add to that a batch of R4M and now you've got a plane with speed to ingress/ egress safely, and pick it's point of attack accurately.

Any info on that?

Maybe the 262 was too fast for that job: I remember having read a book of U. Rudel, and the guy preferred the Stuka-G over the FW190 also because he could fly slower and be more accurate in the Ju87.

Ok, Rudel was of a special breed, a friend of mine several years ago had the chance to have dinner with a Me109 pilot who was flying cover for Rudel, and in two words his opinion was 'the guy was completely insane, he was flying trough the AA disregarding everything, his plane was smoking and peppered and still he went diving for another target..'
Of course I can't certify this comment, I just report it as I was told

the 5cm on the Me 262 was through the nose and was used on a couple of missions flying with JV 44 to attack B-26 Marauders. On both missions the cannon failed. Never used for ground attack.

the Me 262 was proven to be and effective tank buster.........too little too late.

Rudel flew the Fw 190F and as well as the Dora on several missions. the Kanonvogel Ju 87G was used just for tank busting. He also flew the D when his staffel was used in accordance for the days activities of bridge or crossroad bombing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back