Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

also of note the Murat was not sunk by Rudel only damaged

Sorry Erich but I have to disagree, the Marat was completely wrecked by Rudel, only the shallows waters of kronstad saved her.

If you are a recon german plane and you see below this twisted mountain of steel is obvious that is consider "destroyed"...and I think the right think to do.

Heres a short list that I have....

Name Tanks/Planes

Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel 519/9
Ofw. Anton Hübsch 120/8
Hptm. Gerhard Stüdemann 117
Ofw. Alois Wosnitza 104/2
Lt. Jacob Jenster 100+
Hptm. Hendrik Stahl 100+
Lt. Anton Korol 99
Oblt. Wilhelm Joswig 88/2
Oblt. Max Diepold 87
Lt. Wilhelm Noller 86/2
Ofw. Hans Ludwig 85
Ofw. Heinz Edhofer 84/1
Ofw. Siegfried Fischer 80/15
Maj. Theodor Nordmann 80
Lt. Kurt Plenzat 80/4
Hptm. Rudolf-Heinz Ruffer 80
Hptm. Kurt Lau 80/2
Oblt. Hans-Joachim Jäschke 78
Oblt. Helmut Hannemann 77
Hptm. Hubert Pölz 76/11
Oblt. Wilhelm Bromen 76/7
Oblt. Rainer Nossek 73
Oblt. Gustav Schubert 70/3
Fw. Otto Ritz 70/2
Hptm. Hans-Hermann Steinkamp 70

CB great pic and I must have thought of one of the other Soviet big boy ships. will have to re-check my sources. Les I am attmepting to cover some of the Tank killers in a slow and not in a row by whom is the top killer type of chronology. It's easy to list the chaps from Petra's site but having good bio information is a bit scant

wow, she still had quite a life after being destroyed, lucky he hit the magazine though he wouldn't do that damage with just a 1000kg...........

here is another Ju 87G ace translated from the Deutch from my German contact/edited by me.......

Andreas Kuffner
Hauptmann
*30.05.1918 in Deisenhofen/Oberbayern

RK 16.04.1943 as Oberleutnant after 600 combat missions
EL (No. 684) 20.12.1944 as hauptmann after 745 combat missions and approx. 60 tank kills

1937 he joined the Luftwaffe. He took part in the French campaign as Wachtmeister with a light Flak battery and recieved the EK II on 22.06.1940. Back in 1939 he had volunteered for pilot training but he was not accepted before August 1940 when he was sent to a Flugzeugführerschule. After his training in December 1941 he joined I./StG 2 in January 1942 at the northern sector of the Ostfront. Just 3 months later he had accumulated 200 combat missions. Since spring 1942 deployed to the southern sector. On 25.05.1942 he recieved the Ehrenpokal and in September 1942 the DKiG. In autumn 1942 he was wounded in aircombat and had to force land at the own Panzerspitzen. until December in homeland, afterwards Staffelführer of 4./StG.2 back in the east (Ukraine, Donez, Krim, Kuban Bridge Head). After 600 FF transferred to III./SG 151, which flew in the Croatian area Bandeneinsätze (COIN) . In February 44 as Staffelkapitän assigned with the deployment of 10.(Pz.)/SG 3 which he led with great success on almost all front areas 04.08.1944 named in OKW report (namentliche Nennung im OKW Bericht). 01.09.1944 promoted to Hauptmann.

25.09.1944 his Staffel destroyed their 300th tank since deployment.

22.10.1944 he destroyed his 50th tank with Ju 87 G. Since January 1945 Gruppenkommandeur I.(Pz.)/SG 9

30.04.1945 he was shot down and killed over Sülte near Schwerin (!!) by a Spitfire. On the same occasion both Staffelkapitäne(RK reciepients) were shot down: Rainer Nossek (Killed) and Wilhelm Bromen (badly wounded)

Andreas had a total of more than 900 combat missions as Stuka- and Panzerschlachtflieger. Scored more than 60 tank kills.

von Deutsch ammo experten M. Rausch: edited by me....

Ok, I digged out several occasions, where the successfull atttack of cannon armed Ju-87 were made on Russian tanks breaking through the frontline. But there were never times and exact locations listed. Here are the examples I could find (there are more, but no time to reread more of them up). There are many other battles listed, but for these there seems to have a mix of cannon-armed planes and normal Ju-87 with HEAT bomblets be used, also FW 190 F equipped with anti-tank rockets.

- 30.3.1944 at Parlitti

- 10. (Pz)/SG 3 flew several times during the defense of Wilna

- Same formation on 28.7.1944 attacked 25 broken-through Russian tanks at Mietan, and destroyed 21 of them with their Ju 87G-1's.

- Same formation stopped a tank breakthrough in April 1944 north of Jassny.

Additionally Rudels books points out periods of days and sometimes even weeks, where continously broken through Russian tanks were attacked. And in February the Luftflotte 4 formed the "Panzerjagdkommando Weiß" at Chartiza, which spezialized on attacking broken-through tanks.

I have also learned that there were far more tank kills with anti-tank rocket equipped FW 190 F variants than I ever imagined.

soon I will cover all the major German players on the Ost front. another one planned for the morrow sometime after work ....

another Soviet tank destroyer

Josef Blümel

Feldwebel
* 15.08.1920 Prode/Kreis Trautenau (Sudeten)
RK 28.01.1945 as Feldwebel posthumously

He joined Lw in autumn 1940 and was trained as pilot. Though, he only made his first combat missions in April 1944 on the Krim (Crimean Peninsula) when he came from 5./SG 151 as Unteroffizier to the newly mustered 10.(Pz.)/SG 3 (which flew anti tank missions for the first time in April 44). Within a short time he became one of the best tank hunters and most successful Schwarmführer of the Panzerjagdstaffel of SG 3. He destroyed his 34th tank on 28.07.1944 and was promoted to Feldwebel with effect from 01.07.1944. On his 123rd combat mission he would destroy 2 tanks for his 52nd and 53rd tank kills. His 59th followed on the 17.09.1944.

On the 19.09.1944 Blümel had a combat mission between 9.20-10.00 which brought his 60th tank kill. On the 2nd mission at 11.10 his Ju 87 G-2 (WNr. 494231) was heavily damaged by FlaMG and he had to crash land his plane behind enemy lines. After the emergency landing near Kekava (18km south of Riga) Blümel and his Bordfunker Obergefreiter Hermann Schwärzel were executed (Obermeier wrote murdered) but shot in the neck from Russians (Soviet soldiers? not all were Russians). 3 days later they were found by a search squad consisting of Heer troops and members of the Panzerjagdstaffel under the leadership of Hptm. Kuffner, on the meanwhile had retaken crash location. They were buried with military honors.

Ehrenpokal and DKiG were awarded posthumously on 28.and 29.09.1944.

total of approx. 150 combat missions as Panzerjäger with Ju 87. 60 tanks destroyed

----------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• bluemel_444.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 463
more coming but look at the listing that Les posted, more than enough impressive totals not counting the pilots/crews with 25 kills or less and there were many flying Hs 129's and Ju 87G's besides Fw 190F pilots with panzerblitz rockets we will never hear about....

Users who are viewing this thread