Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I'm following this all correctly, it appears that the machine guns or cannons actually mounted to the aircraft (in traditional means) has little or no effect on armor, and bombs or heavy rockets are required to "kill" even a light to medium tank. How much armor can the largest guns on each side penetrate?

If u'd really like to know, go back and read both parts of this thread... We've went over this time and time again, including websites and graphs/charts that show the penetrating power of certain rounds....

Bottom line, either the 8lb rockets, the 37mm cannons that the Russians and Germans mounted, napalmn and to an extent, bombs were the primary air assault means of tank destruction..

Hmmm that is a good question.

This is no order and maybe we can order them now together but lets see here are lets say the top planes for the job:

Ju-87G
Il-2
Fw-190F
P-47
Tiffy
Hurricane Mk.IID

Now lets discuss and decide what to elliminate and come up with the all time best or what not.

That is why I dont consider it. It was a very very good design and could have been extremely distructive had they just put some DB engines in it, instead of those damn French pieces of ****.

Very true! They did upgrade them later on but not enough DB's would of done the job or even some BMW 801's. The first version had two 495hp Argus (the second 2 Gnome-Rhone 690hp engines) how anyone thought it wouldn't fly like a pig with the amount of armour must of been an idiot...

But the Hs-129 was an effective tank killer, it just had some crappy flight characteristics... It is one of my favorite planes, crap engines or not, and the pilots that flew them were some of the bravest and best ground attack pilots around...

And just to be specific, the 2 Rustsätze Kits to consider are the Hs-129B-2/R2 with 2x20mm, 2x 13mm, and 1x 30mm Mk103, the B-2/R3 with 2x20mm and 1x 37mm BK 3/7, or the Hs-129 B-2/Wa, which was the factory installed version of the above weapons...

Either way, it destroyed many Russian tanks, and I would rate it higher than the P-47, as a tank killer only...

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Hmmm that is a good question.

This is no order and maybe we can order them now together but lets see here are lets say the top planes for the job:

Ju-87G
Il-2
Fw-190F
P-47
Tiffy
Hurricane Mk.IID

Now lets discuss and decide what to elliminate and come up with the all time best or what not.

mmmm, whilst they did play a majoy part should we count fighter bombers? they racked up kills but with bombs and rockets, which can be dropped by most planes, they're hardly dedicated tank killers, and the simple ability to drop bombs/fire rockets doesn't make you the best tank killer?

but do you see my point about with fighter/bombers it's the disposable store used and a lot of luck that destroys the tank, and almost any plane can drop bombs, but dedicated tank destroyers such as the -87G and IID are a different stories, very few planes could mount the guns they did and the destruction of a tank relies more on pilot skill and the actual aircraft............

lesofprimus said:
I agree to an extent too Lanc, although the Typhoon was pretty much in limbo as a fighter until the assault on the French mainland and the loading of those 8lb rockets that SOME people think didnt destroy a single tank during the Normandy invasion....

I've had debates on other forums where people claim rockets weren't effective because of their low chance(something like 5%) of hitting the target. What they don't factor in is, one squadron of FBs carried almost 100 rockets which means you'll get about 5 direct hits in an attack and near misses are going to blow up any soft targets.

I am not saying that they were not effective at all, but I think they were more effective than people think. I think it depends on the type of Rockets. I know the R4Ms used against Bomber Formations but I think they would have been quite effective as well especially in the way that you are talking about Dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back