Best Tank Killer of WW2 continued

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mosquitoman said:
Definitely, good at soft skinned vehicles but tanks were a tougher nut to crack for it. Best anti-tank air to ground weapon would have to be a 500lb bomb. Easier than a rocket to use and more accurate

As I've already shown, Napalm was the best tank killing weapon. The area of coverage is huge. Hitting the tank was easy, and often more than one tank could be destroyed in a single drop. Napalm burned so hot it would usually explode the tanks fuel and ammo. Even near misses were sufficient to roast the crew and ruin the running gear. Napalm was used quite effectively in the ETO starting in the late spring of 1944, though it is not well publicized.

=S=

Lunatic

Napalm is an ugly weapon. Unfortunately, historians tend to ignore the fact it was heavily used starting in mid-1944 for this reason. You will rarely find much detail on its use in the ETO, and many sources will claim that it was only used in the PTO. Somehow, burning Japs alive was more acceptable than burning krauts alive. Who can figure?

=S=

Lunatic

Napalm was extremely effective against most targets. It was extremely effective against Japanese pill boxes and cave positions where there was only one entry (common on Iwo Jima). It would consume all the oxygen and sufficate them.

=S=

Lunatic

I can see someone up there is trying to get a rise out of me, but I am not going to play the game.

I can see its usefullness but I am glad it is no longer used in that sense. Yes we have more terrible weapons now but I just dont like napalm.

I can confirm that Napalm was used in early 1945 against hidden soft targets in southern Germany. There are no documents to proof that it was actually intended to be used against armored forces, like tanks, in that time. I think there is also a colourfilm about such a use. I have seen it on a documentation about the closing months of Nazi Germany.

Iwo Jima cave entrances actually had multiple entrances. There were 16 miles of tunnels and 1500 rooms below the surface of the island which is only 7.5 square miles. Many times, "cleared" caves became reinfested with Japanese, not from the surface. Bill Genaust was one of many Marines that entered one of those caves to never return.

Most aerial bombing done to Iwo Jima before the invasion was very ineffective. Napalm was used before the invasion to take out enemy installations and to remove camouflage, but that was ineffective because the Japanese used very little combustible material for camouflage.

That is correct.

John Bradley's son wrote an excellent book about Iwo Jima that gives a good picture of that as well. There are a number of sites that also talk about the extensive tunnel system. The Japanese mastered Prairie Dog warfare.

Here is some interesting things I have read about the tunnel systems there.

Here is also a lecture from James Bradley the author of the book you are talking about The Flags of our Fathers. His father was on Iwo Jima.

So yeah I can see where napalm would be effective here however this proves what you say about there being multiple entrances and exits and not just positions with one entry as stated above. The sources are there too for the certain people who require sources to believe what is being said.

I read a lot of material on that battle before the latest presentation I gave on Iwo Jima last month. I have also spoken to a couple of guys that were on that "God forsaken place". For the time of the battle, there were about 60,000 Marines against 21,000- 23,000 Japanese defenders. That would have made it the most populated place on earth at the time. With an almost 3-1 numerical superiority, it took the Marines 36 days to secure that 7.5 square miles. It took many months after that to completely clear the island of the Japanese troops.

Users who are viewing this thread