Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[DH]Chris89;206307 said:
For German it would Defenitly would have to be the Foker Wolf 190 A-8 fast and a brillent Aircraft agasint B-17s and P-51D's

The Fw-190A-8 has a top speed of 405 mph at 18000 ft. The P-51D has a speed of about 416 mph at 18000 ft with a top speed of 442 mph at 26000 ft. I suspect the P-51 is faster at all altitudes thant he Fw-190A-8. Compared to the P-51D, the Fw-190A-8 is not a particularly fast airplane. And, while the Fw-190 was indeed a brilliant aircraft design, so was the P-51.

We could keep going on about this stuff since 'best WWII a/c' is simply too vague. I would believe the best WWII a/c is the one that inspired the most designs (i.e. the Zeke inspired the reason for the Hellcat.. that may be just one example, though I'm not implying that the Zeke was the best WWII a/c). The C-47 definietly was great, but we should first divide it all, like those wise guys on the Aces High forums lol.

1) best fighter (overall)
-best fighter (overall combat)
-best fighter (base/fleet defence)
-best fighter (jabo)
-best fighter etc...

2) best bomber (overall)
-best bomber (pure destruction)
-best bomber (versatility)
-best bomber, etc...

The list goes on.

Brainfart- The F4U-4 completely outmatches the P-51D, so don't get any attempts, Spamcan lovers (just in case you're thinking it, the P-51H didn't enter combat in WWII, so don't use that old 'P-51H is better than the 4-Hog arguemant).:D

i'd vote for c-47/dakota/li-2/l2d.
it's not quite ww2 aircraft (not only), but it was a workhorse for many countries.

and i aggree with Sgt. Pappy that the topic has no criteria to discuss.

talk about the bias opinion. Just face it guys, if it was built by grumman it was great. end of discussion, no need to debate anymore. There's just nothing better than that.

When look at all time best, I don't feel hottest is bestest, atthe only air show i've attended, a bear flew wow it chomped sky like a quisenart. Still it was a late to show, a Ta 152 lived up at 40,000' 467mph withering weapons array, nimble as a cat,(Thanks to exotic wing design.)but not much impact on events. someone said "C47" welll, mighty important machine, Hurrc's a real soldier ask any B of B pilot. I like Bf109's like they said about "the Who" They played longer, harder and more than the others. Still if you've never seen an F8F do it's thing, man you ain't seen nothing. oh and there's the navy ace maker the hellcat, I could go on on.

if i have to choose one,my vote goes for the Spit.if i have to consider the whole war.
i see the topics of best /night/day fighters,bombers,bomber killers,tankbusters,but where are the recon or transport ac? i stick to others,best transport ac been deffo the C-47.

I look at what the made (for me that is) the most impact on the war and that would be the C-47. Without it the ground troops would not recieve supplies, parts and food.

C-47 all the way. There is more to a war than slinging bullets.

it does make for more interesting debate if you stop all but telling the noobies they're wrong though :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back