Best World War II Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I left that out because in Europe when we liberated France it was one less war material the C-47 needed to deliver. The French population provided the Allied troops with plenty of c-u-m buckets...

I heard there was an apparent problem with abuse toward the French women from the GIs. When the American High Command investigated this possible scar on Allied reputation; they discovered that it was simply because French women telling the GIs to "F*ck them" in German, or kept saying, during sexual intercourse, "Du ist die vater" ...which led to a lot of anger among the GIs, naturally.
It was soon solved though when the Allies released a pamphlet explaining that these "Germans" weren't simply wearing new uniforms, but they were in fact the Americans.

The raw material that went into Spitfires was probably delivered by a C-47...

Folks, you're too hung up on fighters - there's a lot more to flying than air combat. The multi-role ability, ease of maintenance, longevity and versatility of the C-47 places it as not only the overall best aircraft of WW2, but probably the best aircraft ever built, PERIOD!

It's Top Gun syndrome man... think I'm sexy in my C-12???

Instrument Landing System...

ILS Basics

There's no greater feeling breaking out of the clouds and having a lighted runway right in front of you...

ils4.gif

Folks, you're too hung up on fighters - there's a lot more to flying than air combat. The multi-role ability, ease of maintenance, longevity and versatility of the C-47 places it as not only the overall best aircraft of WW2, but probably the best aircraft ever built, PERIOD!

Exactly, could not agree more. C-47.

Instrument Landing System...

ILS Basics

There's no greater feeling breaking out of the clouds and having a lighted runway right in front of you...

ils4.gif

Amen Brother. I remember this one time we were flying back to our airfield and we were in the soup. I remember not seeing anything until about 100ft in front of the runway but everything was working great!

Lanc - ILS is a precision approach system that transmits both glideslope and azimuth signals, are very accurate and have extremely low weather minimums. Non-precision approaches give only azimuth, such as VOR or TACAN, and have higher minimums to shoot the approach.

thanks, i was simply commenting on the superiority of British bad weather navigation aids and landing aids :toothy5:

And in britain, you NEED bad weather navightion.
Britain is like a tuppaware box for weather.
Grey in out.
spitfire.jpg

Besides, my last point is that at the height of the war (june 1942) the spitfire could get over 10,000 ft highter than the mustang.
And height, in a dogfight, is everything.

Also, us brits came up with the jet engine your great boeings sport daily flyboy

What's your point? RR still produces some of the finest engines in aviation. Nobody disputes that.

thanks, i was simply commenting on the superiority of British bad weather navigation aids and landing aids :toothy5:

what navigation aides do they use in britain that are superior to ours? I was under the impression that navaids are generally standard internationally.

I was commenting on the best thing to come out of the war in terms of aviation. The jet engine was quite influential. And flyboy needed taking down a peg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back